The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how acurate are your heaters. are they usually + or - 1 degree? or is it usually + or - multiple degrees.
which brands usually keep the water temp within the smallest range?
can any one share there experience with this?

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
how acurate are your heaters. are they usually + or - 1 degree? or is it usually + or - multiple degrees.
which brands usually keep the water temp within the smallest range?
can any one share there experience with this?
Are you asking whether the temperature varies or whether the displayed setting is different than the actual temperature setting? Not trying to be a wisea$$, just that my findings would be different in either case.:icon_neut

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i'm asking about the actual water temp. i know the little dial on the heaters are notoriously inacurate i just want to know what kind of temp swings do you see in water temp, and if one brand is more acurate then the other.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Gotcha! I've used the Visitherm Stealth for a few years, it is dead on in the summer (of course) but, in the winter I would have to adjust it up a notch to stay at the correct temperature. The heater is 250 watts, the tank is an open top 46 gallon in the basement. The ambient temperature would often be 10 degrees lower than the adjusted heater temperature. I just started using the Hydor Inline ETH 300 watt and has been absolutley dead on after adjustment. Several caveats here, 50 watt difference in power, water flow wasn't optimized for heat with the Stealth. Flow was optimized for co2 dispersion. The hydor is much better but, costs twice as much. If the Hydor doesn't pan out, I would go back to the Stealth in a heart beat. The stealth has been better than any other standard heater I've used. The only thing I don't like about it is it doesn't have a light to indicate when its on.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
For the most consistent temperature throughout a tank use a Hydor inline heater if you are running a canister filter. For small tanks standard in-tank heaters work pretty well but YMMV as tank size increases.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I use the Ebo Jagers and they are dead on too after you calibrate.... the problem is finding something to calibrate with... all my digital therms read close to each other.. and all my mechanical therms read close to each other too... but the mechanical therms are like 3 degs lower than the digi's.... go figure.

As for holding the water temp where you set it.... they work great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts