The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have got an excess of hornwort I'd like to share right now. I will send you a tube with three 6" cuttings for $3 to cover shipping. This may sound like a rather pinché offer, however, you'll HATE me in a month's time if I send more (if you really need more, like have a huge tank, I'll send whatever will fit into the tube. The average tank will fill up in a month or two with one or two 6" cuttings). This stuff grows really quickly and will fill a 10 gallon in one month. Great for soaking up those extra nitrates. I think I have about five of these packages. Please PM me if interested. :)

·
Registered
562 Posts
Is there a secret to keeping this stuff alive? I get a boom-bust cycle or something. It only survives in my snail oubliette. When it goes down, I blink and half of it turns brown. I started with enough to fill a 20 gallon tank, and there's only a handful left. The snails love it because there's always some decaying enough for them to eat.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gosh, I don't know? I just know it explodes in my tanks. Is yours from just one source? It could just be particularly sensitive. I had some water sprite that did that to me -- it was growing along side some from another source and it consistently died off while the other did well. Maybe, just like other living things, it can be weak genetically?

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Is there a secret to keeping this stuff alive? I get a boom-bust cycle or something. It only survives in my snail oubliette. When it goes down, I blink and half of it turns brown. I started with enough to fill a 20 gallon tank, and there's only a handful left. The snails love it because there's always some decaying enough for them to eat.
Oooh! I have an oubliette too! Snails and duckweed!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Oooh! I have an oubliette too! Snails and duckweed!
Ha, exactly! Then I started feeling guilty and now it gets fed like a regular tank.

Yes, it was all from a pond plant nursery, and 80% died in a week. I think it might have been temperature shocked, and nowadays it probably can't compete with the other plants. The same thing also happened to some water sprite that I got locally, so I think it just may be that my tanks are like boot camp for plants.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts