The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FYI, been getting PMed that the DIY pics in my sig links do not work. Sorry but I had over 45000 hits and my bandwidth for the month is used up. The links are not broken, please try again after March 1....DC

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Might be time to get your own domain DC. Check out the links in my Guide.
I hear ya, got a button click away once still a little paranoid from getting all my stuff hacked on another site......DC

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Looks like a nice company. Our local club had their site hosted by them but they....uh....kind of screwed us over.

I've always wanted to have my own website but have no idea where to even begin.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
I've always wanted to have my own website but have no idea where to even begin.
Yeah I'm with you Burks... Sooner or later I'm gonna get one... And Isn't buying your own domain pretty cheap? Like $50-$60 for web hosting and domain and that stuff... A few of my friends are into this, So It can't be too hard...

-Andrew

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
$5 a month at 1&1.

That gets you 2 free domains, 120 GB of web space, 1200 GB web traffic a month, 1200 email accounts.

They have tools that help you build a basic web site.

Best way to sign up is though my site of course! :)

They even have a decent $2.99 a month program now.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
It looked like going under their hosting it's $2.99 for the beginner package which includes the domain name registration ($5.99 a year I believe). Contract is probably for a full year.

At $3 a month (if that's correct) with a domain I'd really consider it. Combine my two passions of coin and fish collecting into one site.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
$5 a month at 1&1.
Sounds like the going rate Rex. I was talking about a full year, sorry I was so vague.

It looked like going under their hosting it's $2.99 for the beginner package which includes the domain name registration ($5.99 a year I believe). Contract is probably for a full year.

At $3 a month (if that's correct) with a domain I'd really consider it. Combine my two passions of coin and fish collecting into one site.
Yeah It isn't bad at all!

-Andrew

Ohh, I know a bunch of you guys are into coin collecting, I just found some old coins that I had received as a gift from a friend a while ago, I'll have to get some pictures and see if I have a billion dollar coin laying around...lol:hihi:

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
So really the main difference is the amount of bandwidth, storage space, and the number of domains between the $3 and $5 a month contracts? Do you pay monthly or just one lump sum?

Go ahead and send the pictures to me Andrew. I have a wide range of knowledge on coins except those from China/Japan. Plus my numerous books!

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
I personally have never used the provided tools. There is also a huge software bundle that you can download and use. There is a 90 day Money Back Guarantee.

The software suite is pretty easy to use. I just looked at what is included and it's decent software. I know a lot of people have have used the web site builder interface also.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I can second 1&1, I use them and they're are about the best value out there. Like Rex I have no experience of their tool set, I either develop locally and FTP or just use command line directly ont he server, but from what I remember the software they give you access to is newcomer friendly.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I think I'll chime in on this topic - it's a full time occupation for me.

First, WebHostingTalk Forums - Web Hosting Discussion is an excellent resource for researching any choices you read about. I'm a Community Guide and username is Anky, feel free to ask me questions related to the WHT forums if need be.

Second, I would advise against 1&1. Do a search on WHT for them and you'll see why - it's dirt cheap for a reason. If it works well for what you need, then go ahead, but it's not a company I would advise working with. One of the prevalent issues is that if you ever want to switch away from them, it won't be very easy.

Third, I'll end this short comment with two things:
1. You get what you pay for
2. Buy what you need, don't get 50GB of disk space when all you need is 5MB.

I haven't linked to my business, but just to give you guys an idea - I provide hosting services to over 200 clients of which many are companies that deal in webhosting, design, etc. themselves. I host pretty much everyone from political organizations to city websites. I've been doing this for quite a while and my recommendation is to avoid 1&1 at all costs.

Rex Grigg: I really hope this isn't taken personally, you're a good guy and I love your site as well as how you approach things, however I just don't agree on the topic of 1&1.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.