The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Hi.

I'm redoing my 75g and have ordered a number of bottom dwellers. I need something for the mid/upper range. I'm thinking I'd like to get 1-3 showcase fish. Any suggestions? It's a planted, warm 82°F. tank, soft water, with just over 30% capacity remaining. I want something hardy and easy to keep. I have angelfish already and don't want to deal with trying to keep discus. I currently have some swordtails, but most are males. One of my options is to put 1-2 males in with 5-6 females. i think I would like something different though.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Well if the water is clean and water not too hard rams; esp gold rams are really nice. They aren't super large but still quite nice. If the water is slightly acidic apistogramma nijjensi are a favorite of myself (though 82 is pushing it a bit so maybe not). For the bottom 82 begs sterbai cory (if you get a cory); otherwise another favorite of myself are L204 (pleco); or the tank might be large enough to support a gold nugget (pleco). Another favorite are kuhli - 20 or 30 kuhli loaches. For the top rummy nose tetra are an active tetra that like warm waters. Conversely cardinal tetra (more middle) if you want something that sits around all day looking pretty. Swordtails - well you only need 1 male and 1 female to get as many as you want - i keep a tank with some swordtails and guppies and while my male swordtail is closing in on 5 years and looks it - at the end of the day they are not the most interesting fishes one could imagine keeping.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Rummynoses are great high temp fish that go well with angels. Decently hardy and they'll warn you if your parameters are thrown off by losing their head color so it's easy to tell if something's wrong. Lemon tetra are pretty nice looking with angels and can tolerate a wide range of parameters.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Let me clarify my original post. The angels that I have are in different tanks. Right now I have 5 orange Venezuelan corys and 4 male swordtails in the 75. I'm adding 9 kuhli loaches, 9 aeneus corys, and 3 bristlenose plecos on order. The male swordtails are eventually going in the 29g with the aggressive angel. I'll look into both the rams and the rummy nose tetras. It will probably be a month before I add more.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.