The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read somewhere, I think on Aqua Bot. "All Wet Thumb" forum to put a dose of HCL into Plantex CSM to eliminate mold. I take it HCL is hydrocloric acid. Any ideas where one can get HCL as my drug stores don't have any? Anyone know the dose? I'm pretty sure I can find it on AB if I need to. Thanks, bob

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Is the mold harmful in anyway?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Just be careful with the muriatic acid. I remember as a kid putting a case in the stock room, one of the caps was loose and when I came back a few weeks later the corrugated cardboard box was literally falling apart due to the fumes. Wear gloves.

The first batch of traces I mixed up became moldy. The current batch I keep in the fridge; no sign of mold after 2 weeks.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I keep the mix in the fridge and pour out about 2 weeks worth into a smaller container that i leave outside. I use it all before it can mold and I just rinse out the container with hot water and refilll it. The main bottle in teh frdige hasnt molded yet.

·
Registered
524 Posts
ive never heard of this before.. so i take it keeping CSM in a frigge also inhibits this mold growth?

why does it happen.. i havent got my CSM yet so i havent had chance to make a batch.

also do you guys use distilled or do you just make do with tapwater or something?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Or just mix smaller batches so it's used up before this happens. 500ml is alot and would likely take a month and a half to use completely for me. Switching to 250ml batches keeping it in the fridge has resolved the issue without addition of anything.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Not sure if I'm doing it all wrong, but I don't use any HCl or Muriatic Acid(bad experiences in Chem Lab -- j/k). I simply mix up a solution and after 1-2 weeks if its turning brown, I toss and mix up a fresh batch. Yes, I refrigerate it.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Tom, I don't feel like going to the fridge everytime I want to dose. BTW, I just did a search on google and found out HCL is aka Muriatic Acid and sometimes mispronounced Muric acid. But I also like the idea of keeping the main portion of the mixed solution in the fridge and keeping smaller part out. I'm not at home so I don't have my notes, but I do believe you are suppose to use distilled water. Thanks for the help folks. bob

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
I searched this OLD thread and am wondering if theres any reason that id be getting lumps in my mix even when its refrigerated? I can make smaller batches to prevent it, but if its not harmful, then does it matter? are the nutrients still available? I have dosed it several time without visable effects on my tank, but is it still worth it? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
191 Posts
I searched this OLD thread and am wondering if theres any reason that id be getting lumps in my mix even when its refrigerated?
Interesting... When I mix up my 500ml of CSM+B, I use HCL (37%) and I put a tablespoon in I think (about 3 times what Tom suggested above). I also keep it in the fridge. However, I do get a white, flaky, crystalline looking deposit that clumps together on the bottom of the bottle. The white, flaky substance appeared only after I refrigerated it. Reminds me of snowflakes... Do your "lumps" look like this? I posted a thread about it some time ago, but no one seemed to be able to relate, or kept trying to sell me that it was mold. Given the HCL and the refrigeration, I really didn't think it was mold. But I also don't think I reached the saturation point with the 7.7g of csm+b that I dissolved in 500ml of water.

Soon, I'm going to make a fresh batch and see if I get the same results. I used my R/O water last time I mixed up the batch, versus distilled water. But I've been using the flaky solution and my plants don't seem to be suffering any because of it. But I've always been curious...

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Hi,

You can also use Excel, about 20ml for a 500ml solution. I am using Metricide which does the same thing but, it's much cheaper.

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
Yes, this is what im referring to, the white flakyness. I also dont think its mold. It looks like the ions have started sticking together or something. Im no chemist, so im not sure of the proper terminology, but it seems like its coagulating. I can shake it real hard,and it just breaks up a little, not alot. Its always at the bottom of the bottle so I just take some off the top w/o shaking it up.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts