The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought some HC at a local fish store and it is attached to a lava rock. It was in really bad shape when I got it but it is doing really well in my tank now. It seems to be pretty securely rooted on the lava rock and my question was what is the best approach of removing it without damaging it to badly? I want to plant it along the bottom of the tank to create a carpeting effect. Any input or advice would be much appreciated.

-Tim

·
Registered
216 Posts
My HC carpet occasionally becomes attached to largish stones in my substrate and I simply pull it off. Some roots might remain attached to the rock, but under good conditions, planted rootless stems will grow just fine. For example, I've taken an 1" long strand of HC (no roots) and just planted one end into the substrate about 1'2" in, and it fanned out from there.

My problem is that after awhile, my HC grows to a certain thickness where the under layers die off, creating a layer of mulm which can't hold the roots of the layers above it. Then, during the day when the upper layer is pearling and extra buoyant, entire sheets of HC rise up from the substrate. At that point I have to take out all the HC, vacuum the substrate, and replant. Takes a full day! However, I have so much HC left over I can make $$$ at my local club auction. :)

Will

1 - 2 of 2 Posts