The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
HC 'Cuba' Guru
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which would be better for creating a dense carpet in a high light, high nutrient 29 gallon tank?
I prefer smaller leaves... which gives it a more dense, single entity look

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
HM. looks alot more busher and give a nice green feeling, i really dont like HC it looks so little and ugly

·
HC 'Cuba' Guru
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wait, you said you like HM better, but then you said it looks ugly and small... typo?

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
No he said HC...

But HC is better! But dunnno how big a 29 gallon is.

What kind of tank are you trying to achieve? I mean if its an iwagumi tank then you'd definitely want HC. But if its like a tank with driftwood or something then maybe you might want HM. It all depends. Hey, you might even go for both!

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
High light I would go with HC, it stays much lower to the ground and has much smaller leaves.

HM is nice too for those who are unable to grow/plant HC

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
This is a bit off topic but I've made Hygro polysperma a carpet plant.. They grow like weeds and it's pretty easy. Just plant the stem sideways in the substrate.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
The H. polysperma will grow along the stem for a while...and then grow upwards into a huge jungle.

Go with HM if you want something that grows a bit faster. HC takes a little longer...what's your lighting?

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
I would use HM as a bush, HC as a carpet. For your dimensions, HM would be too unwieldy to try to keep trimmed low enough. It's leaf size would also be too large IMO as a carpet in a 30x12 tank. I'm currently balancing out a new 20 long which has the same footprint as a 29. Entire foreground is HC and I can tell you HM would make the tank look a lot smaller. HC can get plenty dense :).

For a hill or mound in a corner, HM would work well. It trims well into a bush.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts