The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
I don't do this anymore
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title sounds funny, doesn't it? Well, I have fallen in love with this plant, so I really really wanna get it.

I have a semi-working paintball CO2 system (Needs to be refilled), and can easily get high lighting. I have about medium lighting now, but I have a light that fits two different wattage bulbs. I'll ask a question about that in a minute here.

I have plain 'ol black sand, but I have plenty of root tabs available. I am doing full EI dose on this tank with N,P,K, and Micros (Dry fertilizers), and the lighting schedule is this:

On: 10:00 A.M.
Off: 12:00 Noon
On again: 3:30 P.M.
Off for the night: 8:30 P.M.

I can adjust anything I mentioned above quite easily, save for my substrate, can't really change that.

I also have a lighting question. I currently have a Menard's full spectrum desk lamp, 6,500k, 27w, so I believe that is about medium lighting. To achieve high lighting, I have a 10.5" brooder lamp that can fit either a 27w 6,500k CFL, or a 13w 6,500k CFL. Which one would make it enough to grow HC?

Is it possible for my to grow it? I will focus on it, and make sure it is not claimed by algae.

I would like a veteran HC keeper to help me out here, I really haven't done much research as of yet, but I'll get started on it ASAP.

You have any more questions, I'll be more than happy to answer them!!

Thank you!!

·
Registered
373 Posts
You most certainly can grow HC with what you have available.

Switch to the brooder lamp with the 27w CFL, and I would advise a solid 10 hour photoperiod.

C02 is a valuable tool if you want lush HC growth, but it will grow without c02 as well.

Since you are dosing nutrients I don't think your inert black sand will prevent it from growing.

·
Registered
476 Posts
You probably could with the right fert dosing and maintenance. I grew hc in black sand easily. It's hard to say though because it doesn't just depend on your lighting.

Here's the HC I grew with black sand under a 27w brooder lamp:

I had a bit of hair algae because I didn't have enough plants to use all the light, but that can easily be fixed by raising the light higher up.

·
I don't do this anymore
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I switch to JUST the brooder lamp with 27w CFL, or use it in conjunction with what I already have?

Oh and thank you very much for all you guy's help!!

·
Surrounded by Blyxa
1,543 Posts
HC needs medium light but good CO2. My only concern with the sand is that HC uproots pretty easily, so when you trim it be careful in not pulling it up out of the sand as you trim. You will be trimming often if the HC starts growing properly, so don't discount this as a once in a while concern. HC is great and pretty easy to grow. It is, however, labor intensive.

·
Registered
476 Posts
HC needs medium light but good CO2. My only concern with the sand is that HC uproots pretty easily, so when you trim it be careful in not pulling it up out of the sand as you trim. You will be trimming often if the HC starts growing properly, so don't discount this as a once in a while concern. HC is great and pretty easy to grow. It is, however, labor intensive.
I disagree. First of all, medium light doesn't specify a certain amount of light. It would be better to say that hc needs x PAR. I grew my HC without co2 well. I also didn't have uprooting issues. I don't see any happening unless you have a lot of flow or move stuff around (or have a fish that does) a lot.

·
I don't do this anymore
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I disagree. First of all, medium light doesn't specify a certain amount of light. It would be better to say that hc needs x PAR. I grew my HC without co2 well. I also didn't have uprooting issues. I don't see any happening unless you have a lot of flow or move stuff around (or have a fish that does) a lot.
Well, I've read that CO2 gives compact and faster growth, it us not really necessary. Nevertheless, I will utilize my CO2 system.

I do have the AC 20 that has a pretty good current, hoping to take care of that soon. Got any ideas?

·
Registered
189 Posts
So what would you recommend the PAR needs to be for this to grow well. I am going to attempt a lawn in flourite black soon with root ferts and I have a finnex ray 2 which should give me around 80 PAR at the substrate level which corresponds to medium light from the LED lighting compendium. What type of root ferts would you recommend I use? I have osmocote and some capsules so I can make some osmocote caps. Or would I be better off sprinkling some osmocote on the bottom of the tank when I set it up?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Well, I've read that CO2 gives compact and faster growth, it us not really necessary. Nevertheless, I will utilize my CO2 system.

I do have the AC 20 that has a pretty good current, hoping to take care of that soon. Got any ideas?
Turn the filter's flow down all the way. I don't see it being a huge issue, but it can easily be fixed if it is an issue.

·
Registered
476 Posts
So what would you recommend the PAR needs to be for this to grow well. I am going to attempt a lawn in flourite black soon with root ferts and I have a finnex ray 2 which should give me around 80 PAR at the substrate level which corresponds to medium light from the LED lighting compendium. What type of root ferts would you recommend I use? I have osmocote and some capsules so I can make some osmocote caps. Or would I be better off sprinkling some osmocote on the bottom of the tank when I set it up?
Usually people say around 100 to 150 is good. Root ferts aren't as important with hc. Ferts in the water are more important.

·
Surrounded by Blyxa
1,543 Posts
Low, medium and high lighting PAR values are well established in the lighting forum. I'm glad you had luck, however, if you want good compact growth you will need medium to medium high light. If you were able to balance this with no algae problems without CO2, great job.

Usually people say around 100 to 150 is good. Root ferts aren't as important with hc. Ferts in the water are more important.
Recommending 100-150 PAR at the substrate, when several posts earlier you argue against the need to CO2, is mind boggling to me.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Low, medium and high lighting PAR values are well established in the lighting forum. I'm glad you had luck, however, if you want good compact growth you will need medium to medium high light. If you were able to balance this with no algae problems without CO2, great job.
I wasn't saying that you were incorrect, but saying "low", "medium" and "high" isn't specific. Even if it is established on the forum, some may not have seen it. Even I haven't seen it yet, and I have been on here for a while. I know for a fact that phoenixkiller knows its "medium" light demand, as he has researched it a bit. My point is that we need to go a bit deeper than that and be more specific.

·
Surrounded by Blyxa
1,543 Posts
I wasn't saying that you were incorrect, but saying "low", "medium" and "high" isn't specific. Even if it is established on the forum, some may not have seen it. Even I haven't seen it yet, and I have been on here for a while.
Second link in the first sticky of the lighting forum, midway through the first post. Props to Hoppy and his hard work in there. High light is 50+ PAR. A Finnex Ray II will grow whatever you want in that tank, but you will need CO2.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=184368

·
Registered
476 Posts
Recommending 100-150 PAR at the substrate, when several posts earlier you argue against the need to CO2, is mind boggling to me.
I never said I had 100-150 par with no co2 :p I didn't have much light. Also, I was just stating what others have said- I don't necessarily recommend that intensity of light. I didn't mean that co2 is not needed, but I meant that it is possible to grow HC without co2. I am having success with 125 par and co2 right now.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.