The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 4x4 of HC about 3 weeks ago and separated the plants out like everyone else does and then planted them. Ive been having trouble keeping them to stay in the ADA aquasoil for one, and my second problem is i see no growth at all from the plants except the HC that is on some driftwood close to the top of the tank directly next to the lights. Its a 55 gallon with 2x55 AH supply and 2x65 coralife. I know I have enough lights. I am dosing EI, and I have injected CO2. I just cant figure out the problem. Please help.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
oh my friend, you and I seem to have the same issue. I know that it takes a while for it to "start" growing. I've even heard that it can take up to a month before it actually "does" anything but then you'll start to notice growth across all plants. Why this is, I have never gotten a decent explanation but it seems to be true regardless of HC growing method (e.g. this phenomena occurs with both submersed and emerged varieties)...perhaps someone else with more experience with this plant can shed more light (excuse the pun) on this subject??

·
Registered
644 Posts
I can't explain why it's not growing for you other than to say that HC is primarily a root feeder (which certainly isn't to say that it can't grow attached to driftwood...lot's of people do it), but I can suggest that you try supplementing Excel. HC loves Excel and it's worked a lot for people in the past. I have a full carpet in my 3g that grew in in about 2 months with Excel only, no CO2.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts