The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Just dry-started a 12 gallon long with aquasoil africana powder. I only bought one bag. The substrate is about 1/3 to 1/2 inch thick. I know this really isn't much, but had already bought a bunch of healthy HC and couldn't resist moving forward. Will this be deep enough to sustain a carpet of HC? OR have I made a terrible mistake?

Eventually, I plan on filling in the tank, injecting co2 and dosing EI.

Attachments

·
Registered
745 Posts
Im voting for a terrible mistake

...youre going to eventually have sheets of floating HC

PATIENCE is the biggest key to success in this hobby

·
Registered
745 Posts
order more substrate...let the plants grow out in the meantime...pull out the clumps (should be easy because the roots wont be deep) when the new substrate arrives...replant the clumps

·
Registered
963 Posts
What would you recommend I do at this point?
Here's a trick that might work. I've noticed that when I change the position of my lily pipe during the period the HC is filling in, the strong water flow over a new section of the tank will stir up the Aqua Soil, lightly distributing it "downstream". The lightly covered HC will continue to grow through both the newly AS covered area and the water disturbed region. I've also noticed that the HC in both spots grows thicker.

Based on this, when you get more substrate (hopefully soon), you could lightly sprinkle it over the spreading HC and continue with either the DSM or the post flooding. The process would have to be repeated several times and will take some time to build up your substrate thickness (the thinest I've gone with AS is 1").

I think that they use this technique on golf courses to fill in depressions on fairways and greens. Hope this gives you another option and good luck with your 12L. Oh yea, don't forget to join the 12L club :bounce:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well guys, I appreciate the opinions. The fella who set me up with the baby tears and aqua soil swears that HC is fine with .5 inch of aqua soil powder. Considering that I would've bought another bag from him had I decided to get more, I really appreciate his opinion, especially because he grows great stuff.

So, for now, I'm going to wing it and see what happens. If it all lifts up, so be it! Learning experience...for science!

I'll post what happens if anyone is interested. I plan on doing it HC only. I do, however, like the idea of slowly adding more aquasoil over time, as BeastMaster suggested. I think I might do that. Sounds like a good way to really anchor HC.

I actually measured the substrate and it's pretty much exactly 1/2 inch all over. So, it's time to see if an HC carpet can successfully be dsm-ed to last long term in only 1/2 inches of aqua soil powder.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Well guys, I appreciate the opinions. The fella who set me up with the baby tears and aqua soil swears that HC is fine with .5 inch of aqua soil powder. Considering that I would've bought another bag from him had I decided to get more, I really appreciate his opinion, especially because he grows great stuff.

So, for now, I'm going to wing it and see what happens. If it all lifts up, so be it! Learning experience...for science!

I'll post what happens if anyone is interested. I plan on doing it HC only. I do, however, like the idea of slowly adding more aquasoil over time, as BeastMaster suggested. I think I might do that. Sounds like a good way to really anchor HC.

I actually measured the substrate and it's pretty much exactly 1/2 inch all over. So, it's time to see if an HC carpet can successfully be dsm-ed to last long term in only 1/2 inches of aqua soil powder.

Soooooo.... I made dis mistake also. I figure nah get soil a little bit shud help it stay down.... 3 months down I was all happy... Decided to trim my s repens( much bigger plant than hc ) "trimming" was not possible as soon as u try to cut a small layer the rest of the plant followed...good luck though !!! And the roots have no where to go... After it fills in

1 - 9 of 9 Posts