The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How well does the HC hold up after a bleach dip.
I got a bunch of HC from my cousin and it was covered with alge.
Before planting them I wanted to do a dip to kill the alge. Has anyone done this, and how well do they hold up.
Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
First, bleach is extremely toxic and does great damage over time to any life form including plants. If you correct the underlying problem - water chemistry is off, you will not have to go to such drastic measures. My water is crystal clear, no algae save for some spot which I like (on rocks) and algae is a natural part of nature... even the cyano bacteria is crucial in rice paddies in Asia.

Potassium is much safer as well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
PS sorry your plants came covered already. Can you trim much leaves off - these are small, fragile and bleach is extremely toxic (I am old school - Dr. Innes from 30's books from 50's and never had these problems)..... trim as much off as you can but leave root system and the strongest leaves so they can renew....
Best

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok ill keep that in mind thanks.
I cant really complain cause I got a mat of HC for free.
Thanks for the info.
Where can I get potasium permagonate and whats the dilution ratio?

·
Super Moderator
12,025 Posts
For potassium permanganate, you want to add enough dry powder to water to create a 3% solution. Then, from that, add 30 mL to every 3.78L of water.

Potassium permanganate can sometimes be obtained at the hardware store, near the water softeners, as it is used to recharge iron filters.

Potassium permanganate is an oxidizer and will stain anything it touches purple, so take the proper precautions when handling it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts