The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I was wondering what might be a better choice as a foreground plant in a 11.8 inch high tank? Do you guys think HC or Hairgrass would be better? I was thinking of doing a dry start according to Tom Bars article on it in the forum. suggestions would be appreciated

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey freph,

thanks for the input. That's what I was worried about too. I had heard the dwarf hair grass could get surprisingly tall and was concerned that it might be too high for this small tank.

all suggestions are welcome.

Also, I was wondering what you guys thought of using blyxa japonica as a midground plant, or maybe dwarf sag?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
i would say it depends on how your layout will be might work as a good background accent behind a rock persay and just trim to desired level but i have seen it 4-5+inch , personally i would rather see hc and ug as a combo. can you give your idea on the layout might give people a better chance to shoot you in the right direction for what your looking to do

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i would say it depends on how your layout will be might work as a good background accent behind a rock persay and just trim to desired level but i have seen it 4-5+inch , personally i would rather see hc and ug as a combo. can you give your idea on the layout might give people a better chance to shoot you in the right direction for what your looking to do
Hi guys,

First I would like to thank you all for all the input. About what my plans are for this tank, I was thinking to have carpet in front, sounds like hc has the majority vote from you guys, and maybe a few rocks towards the center of the tank. I was thinking of just scattering a few mid sized, for this tank, rocks in a natural type pattern. I was hoping to have some sort of mid ground plant to sort of accent the rocks. With some background plants in the center back, something that will fill space nicely, maybe some kind of rotola? In the back corners I was thinking of having a tallish plant, well taller than the center back. Not sure what I would put there. I was considering vals, but I heard they took over tanks way too quickly. Sp, these are my basic thoughts on what I would like to have the tank looking like. Any suggestions on any of the plant types and layouts I mentioned wll be greatly appreciated. Please just throw any of your thoughts at me. My plans are by no means set in stone, and I am very receptive to ideas.

Oh and for the rocks, I am currently living in upper new york so I thought I might scout out some local areas for rocks. I'll let you guys know of my success with this. But just in case my hunt doesn't work out, some suggestions on rock types to be bought would also be very appreciated.

Again, thanks for all the input you guys have already put in, and I look forward to reading your guy's thoughts.

Also, I thought I might add details about my set up.

Substrate:
Got some mts on the way from a guy in the swap in shop. I will cap this with flourite black sand and add root tabs

Filtration:
I have an eheim 2211 on the way.

Lighting:
I have an Archaea 36watt pc clip on on the way

Ferts:
I have some excel and am considering getting flourish, but I hope I won't need to because of the mts. Your guys' thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Again thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.