The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive my ignorance please, since I'm very new to the hobby, but I have a few questions I wonder if some of you might be able to answer about HC:

I have no CO2 for my tank yet and am a little too poor to get it for a while. Will HC Still grow and spread horizontally without it?

The other plants In the tanks I'm putting it in are all low-light to moderate light (hornwort, anacharis, java fern, java moss, moneywort, and African sword). will the brighter light kill/hurt these plants? Should I move them into tanks with darker lights?

the other worries I have are the fish I have in the tanks. Mollys, Platys, Guppies, Goldfish, otos, and a pleco. I know plecos and goldfish are notorius for pulling up plants and that mollies and platies may eat some. Do you think it'll be safe once planted or do I need to get it established in a tank before adding the fishes?

Also, can it handle being in a tank that's still cycling?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How do you figure wpg on t5 light that uses less wattage than most? My 55 has a T5, but I'm not sure of K amount.

I can't quite get up to 2.5 on my 10 gal (It's more like 1.5) but is 10000k. will it still grow, but slower or is it going to be more vertical and just as fast?

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
On a 10 gallon, I'd go up to 30 WPG to grow HC nicely and in a timely manner. If you can, get the AHSupply 36 watt retrofit kit.

The WPG rule doesn't work well for small (10 gallons or smaller) or large (~100 gallon+) tanks...so you'll need around 3 WPG.

HC won't grow horizontally or thrive under 15 watts over 10 gallons.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome! that's great news! I have a 10 gal with 15 watts and a 10 gal with 30 watts (15 10000k and 15 50/50 right now, but the 50/50 will be traded for a 6700k bulb when it comes into my lfs.)

·
Registered
663 Posts
I have HC growing in a tank w/o CO2 and with 2.5 watts/gal and I've been having a difficult time getting it to grow. I've been supplementing it with Excel but finally decided to go ahead and convert this tank to pressurized. It'll be interesting to see whether this jolts it into action. From my experiences with it, I think you might have problems.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so does Pressurized mean CO2 injected or just with an air pump? I do have an air stone in all my tanks as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts