The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my 58 I don't use any feed specifically for the shrimp as they get enough food from the fish leftovers and grazing.
Are HBH crab & lobster bites what people are feeding their shrimp? I see there is a wee bit of Copper Sulfate in it (2nd or 3rd to last ingredient). I know some swear by it and others have said that once they stopped using it, their "mystery deaths" stopped. After the total loss of the shrimp I had in "Shrimp Tank 1" I'm a bit leery of doing anything that seems to possibly be detrimental. I have been trying the Omega One Veggie Rounds as that's what was being fed to them at the LFS I got them from. The shrimp seem to mostly ignore it. If I put in big enough pieces for them to find, it just decays on the bottom. If I feed less or smaller bits, they don't seem to know it's there. I'm beginnig to think that starvation may have been a factor in the failure of "Shrimp Tank 1".

Tommy

·
Registered
150 Posts
The copper sulfate in it is the exact reason I didn't buy the HBH stuff. My shrimp really like Hikari Crab Cuisine pellets and unlike your shrimp, they really love the Omega One veggie rounds.

The good news is that shrimp rarely starve. If you have a tank with plants and a small amount of organic debris, they will eat algae and micro-organisms and any decaying plant matter they can find.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I feed mine shrimp pellets...kind of sick, isn't it? ;)

They also love deshelled peas, mysis shrimp, blood worms, crushed green beans...whatever I feed my fish, I also give to my shrimp. They never stop breeding, so I can't imagine that they're all that picky.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The good news is that shrimp rarely starve. If you have a tank with plants and a small amount of organic debris, they will eat algae and micro-organisms and any decaying plant matter they can find.
Yeah, I think the bare tank had a LOt to do with the meltdown. This time I have substrate and some low tech plants and driftwood. They all sem pretty happy.

Tommy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.