The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've seen some members that are from hawaii and I'm sure some of you have been there. Well, I will be traveling to hawaii this June (for the first time!) and was wondering if you guys have any advice on where to go and what to do etc.

thanks
john

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Hmm, dunno. When I go home, I go beach, go for hike sometime, an grind plenny good food.

And, I don't really speak local pigion. :(

IMO, some not-so-conventional must-dos:

-Eat a Spam Musubi
-Go hike up somewhere in the mountains-- try the windward side. People go to Hawaii and miss appreciating the beautiful green mountains.
-Eat Poke
-Try real Japanese Ramen if you've never had it (this one is just there because it annoys me when mainlanders think Ramen is limited to the crappy stuff in the cup)
-Chinese Saimin (eaten at a Chinese Restaurant) is also easy to get to, which is the dish Japanese Ramen is derived from. Local (eaten at somewhere like Zippys) Saimin is a bit different, and imo, not as good.

Hmm . . . yeah, when I go home, I eat a lot . . .

·
Registered
676 Posts
If you can I would sugguest Scuba Diving.

Or even better: free diving. No silly tanks to hold you back.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Which island are you going to?

·
Registered
61 Posts
maui and kauai are really nice and probably the closest you will get to a real hawaii experience.i highly recommend getting shave ice.if you eat it get it with toppings like azuki beans and condensed milk.local style.oahu is cool only if you stay out of waikiki.go to noth shore or lanikai beach in kailua.ill think of more stuff later.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Mahaka Bay is must for scuba! one of the best in the world (IMO, and in travel guides)

stay away from Hotel street in Honolulu, unless your into drugs and sex with "Mahu's" (male transvestites)

try to make a native friend and attempt to go to a REAL Luau!

also, in Honolulu, go to Aloha Stadium on wedsday i believe. they have the best flea market and you'll find all your tourist souvenirs for over 30% cheaper.

if i think of more i'll let you knw.

Mahalo (Thank you)
Wil

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Mahaka Bay is must for scuba! one of the best in the world (IMO, and in travel guides)

stay away from Hotel street in Honolulu, unless your into drugs and sex with "Mahu's" (male transvestites)

try to make a native friend and attempt to go to a REAL Luau!

also, in Honolulu, go to Aloha Stadium on wedsday i believe. they have the best flea market and you'll find all your tourist souvenirs for over 30% cheaper.

if i think of more i'll let you knw.

Mahalo (Thank you)
Wil
"native" people don't really go to luaus. LOL. First decide what island you want to go to. The outer islands are more relaxing. If you want a night life Oahu is def the place to go.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Hmm, dunno. When I go home, I go beach, go for hike sometime, an grind plenny good food.

And, I don't really speak local pigion. :(

IMO, some not-so-conventional must-dos:

-Eat a Spam Musubi
-Go hike up somewhere in the mountains-- try the windward side. People go to Hawaii and miss appreciating the beautiful green mountains.
-Eat Poke
-Try real Japanese Ramen if you've never had it (this one is just there because it annoys me when mainlanders think Ramen is limited to the crappy stuff in the cup)
-Chinese Saimin (eaten at a Chinese Restaurant) is also easy to get to, which is the dish Japanese Ramen is derived from. Local (eaten at somewhere like Zippys) Saimin is a bit different, and imo, not as good.

Hmm . . . yeah, when I go home, I eat a lot . . .
Man, Japanese Ramen up here is better than back home. If you are ever in SF you need to try tanpopo. Besides saimin is great and you can only get it in hawaii. Shiro's is the best place for it.

·
Registered
299 Posts
.i highly recommend getting shave ice.if you eat it get it with toppings like and condensed milk.local style.
Ick, don't be that mean to them, azuki beans taste like over boiled peanuts. IMO
I know that a lot of people like them just not a lot. Sweets are plentiful on the islands. Try a bubble drink, but make sure you get fresh ingredients and not the stores that just make it with powered mix. Zagu's in Ala Moana makes theirs with real fruit and their pearls are perfect. Also, if you are near north shore, stop by the Dole plantation and grab a pineapple float.........drool

·
Registered
87 Posts
If you want scenery, go to Kauai.
If you want beaches, go to Maui.
If you want shopping, go to Oahu.
If you want golf, go to the Big Island.

All the islands have a little of each, but I recommend Maui since it has the most of all 4 (Hana Hwy is also on Maui).

Have you considered taking an island hopping cruise?

·
Registered
61 Posts
decide what island and we can help you better.if you go to Oahu i know of a lot of places most locals don't know about scenic and food.if possible don't only rely on tour books or pamphlets.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow, thanks for all the great tips!

This is my first time going to Hawaii.... come to think of it .. this is my first time going on a vacation =)

istareatplants<=== workaholic =)

I definitely want to take a relaxing vacation as opposed to touristy vacation. Not interested in night life, fancy restaurants, shopping .....etc

I want to relax on a nice, not so crowed beach and explore hawaii's natural beauty.

I'm guessing from the information you guys gave me that Maui might match what I would like. I definitely want to drive the Hana highway. I've seen pictures online and WOW so beautiful.. Just like some planted aquariums on this forum =).

So my question is where would be a good place to stay at Maui and where should I visit?

mahalo!!
john

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Just a quick note:
The Hanna Highway is a long time consuming drive. And it's about the trip, not the destination.
The Mrs and I got started early (we thought), but hit every stop, and ever pool, and walked up mountains, and I ended up driving the Jeep all the way around in the pitch black dark.
If you thought the road to Hanna was rough twisty, curvey, It's worst if you go all the way to get back in the dark. I had to tell the wife to just close her eyes while I avoided some cows in the road.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Oh, and last thing:
Do not cheap out on the Luau!
You will see signs for $15 Luaus, skip them.
We stayed at the Hyatt Regency Maui Resort & Spa, (Definitely hit sticker shock, the Westin is also very nice)
fantastic resort, and they had a great Luau that had the quality of a Broadway show, all the Ahi you can eat. :proud:

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
I've also seen on TV (travel channel always has FAQ on hawaii on with that tourism person who gets really annoying after a while!) But the one interesting thing I saw on it was that you can camp on one of the islands for next to nothing! Which for me is a must do someday if you're into camping!

-Andrew

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts