The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi sorry for those of you not from hawaii, this question is not meant to be discriminatory. So for my fellow members who are from hawaii I have a question, regarding sand. I wanted to use sand in my lake malawi tank. Now i've checked home depot, city mill, and lowe's, does anyone know where i can get play sand or pool filter sand because i used the coral sand that i saw all three stores selling and it was a bad experience. The particles were so fine that it made the water extremely murky. Now i have used the artificial sand the lfs sell, but as we know it's really expensive, and my tank is 45g. If anyone can help me i would really appreciate it thanks.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Not sure what island you are from but try Mr. Sandman in mapunapuna. They deal with sandblasting and pool supplies. I used to get 3m colorquartz and pfs from them. Might wanna check and see if they have any old stock still left. The 3m cq has been discontinued for a few years but I bought some about 2yrs ago and they said they still had pallets of the stuff.

·
Registered
711 Posts
if you are on oahu, give mr sandman a call; they're located in the mapunapuna area. they sell lapis lustre blasting sand, about $25 for 50lbs. google lapis lustre to see the various grain sizes they have. i use the #3. i'm sure you can find a grain size similar to the play sand. some batches have calcium carbonate looking bits in it, but no issue for you since it'll be going in with your malawis. some lfs repackage this same stuff and sell it for twice the price.

·
Registered
711 Posts
no problems rinsing it out; it should be rinsed. it sinks immediately unlike turface or pfs. regarding there (sic) phone number, may i suggest the telephone directory or calling 411? or google? :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.