The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im starting to piece together my pressurized co2 system, i picked up a 2 stage regulator from a welding supply store today....the only problem with it is it came w/ the push to connect fitting on it that i cannot seem to remove and the same thing w/ the 1/4 male to 10-32 female adapter...

can i just manhandle it to get them off with out damaging my regulator, or do i need to head back to the welding supply store to get them to do it for me?

·
Registered
291 Posts
If you feel comfortable doing it then, you should be able to manhandle it. But if you want to be safe head to the welding supply, thy will probably do it for free. If you don’t have the right wrench you could have a bad day.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I don't know what the regulator cost, but I would take it back and ask them to do it. Could be cheap "insurance".

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
As is, that isn't a CO2 regulator.
It looks like what is sold as an inert gas regulator. Yes, CO2 is inert, but CO2 tanks have male threads. Your regulator will need a female CGA-320 connector. You could change what you have but...

The second picture, showing where the gas comes out is configured for a welding hose. That will have to be changed too. IF the welding shop will take it back, I suggest returning it and purchasing a complete kit from one of the forum sponsors. Or the $117.00 Dr. F&S kit.

If you use the search feature on the forum look for past posts on regulators. There are some great ones with pictures and illustrations that show every detail.

I'm not trying to be insulting by suggesting a kit. I'm a very handy with tools and I figured I could save by purchasing pieces and putting my own setup together. I started to and quickly came to the conclusion that I simply didn't know enough about what the specific parts should look like or what the fitting numbers meant. I purchased a kit from Green Leaf, sold what I had to someone who knew more than I, and have been running CO2 instead of still looking for cheap parts.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dbosman, i think he is trying to remove those parts to make it a co2 reg.
correct, ive got all of the parts i need, im just not able to remove the 'wrong' pieces and replace them with what i need to (at least not with out fear of breaking my regulator).

·
Registered
336 Posts
The back of the regulator looks fairly "flat". I'd take the adjustment knob off of the front. If the stem protrudes from the regulator, take a scrap piece of 2x4 and drill a hole to place the stem in. Take this (2x4 + regulator) and clamp it in a vice. When trying to "break" the fitting loose, the longer the wrench used, the better.

·
Registered
220 Posts
That is a regulator setup for argon. Take it back and get the right one. They usually say argon and CO2 on the guages. If that is definetly a two stage not just two guage regulator then it would be best to not mess with it. Two stage regulators are really expensive. And you don't break that fitting with the largest wrench around. Brass is soft use 6 point deep well socket. But please don't mess with such an expensive item. They make ones that are all ready to use.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.