The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a pair of aquascaping tweezers to plant with and they don't seem to help out.. When I pinch a plant and push it into the substrate, it just makes a hole and the plant floats away. When I've watched videos like https://youtu.be/nCMe-bu4-tk to watch technique, it looks so straight forward. Am I doing something wrong, or is it my tweezers or maybe my substrate? My substrate is Eco Complete.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
Best thing to do is push it in deeper than it should be and pull it back up a bit slowly. The Eco should fall in around the base of the plant and hold it down better.

Also if the roots are very long sometimes its more difficult. You could cut the roots shorter and try again.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
It took me a while to figure out how to do finer stems. I push the stem in, let go just slightly and wiggle the tweezers a bit so grains of substrate fall against the stem. Then I release the grip further, let more substrate fall into the hole, and pull the tweezers out. That's my method so far.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I usually push the plant and tweezers in, give it a little shake to loosen up the substrate a bit, then gently release the tweezers and pull them out, works great on stems. For Rosette and rhizome plants esp those with stiffer springier roots, trimming them shorter first helps significantly. For those that have more flexible roots (like crypts and hairgrass) I usually insert them same as with stems, then slide the tweezers 1/2 inch or so to the side to suck the longer roots under and let the substrate fall on top of the roots. It seems to work better that way for me. Rhizomes I typically bury completely wait a day or 2 then slowly pull the rhizome back up to the surface

·
Registered
691 Posts
Also watch some YouTube on setting up aquascapes. Greenmachine, ada view and quite a few others show how they plant.

it will take practice to become proficient.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Greenmachine is my life blood and soul. I've watched so many of their videos.

Thank you guys, I'm also wondering if I need more substrate so I'll try some things :)

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the advice, I had success!
Before
Organism Vertebrate Adaptation Pet supply Soil

After
Organism Aquarium decor Pet supply Freshwater aquarium Fish supply

I would still like to get a pair of pinsettes that are a bit slimmer on the end though, so can anyone recommend a good pair?
The Green Machine of course carries some, but I live in the US.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I was having a devil of a time with planting DBTs, and much like you I would push it down and it would move the gravel aside and the plant would float back up.... I found that when i use these forceps, if I trim the root down a little bit (about 1/2") and place the tips of the tweezers over the roots, that they were properly inserted. Hope this helps!!!

·
Registered
405 Posts
For some plants that just won't stay buried in the substrate, I've glued the rhizome/root to small pebbles before. This helps them anchor into the substrate and allows time for the roots to grow out. Its worked for me with Anubias, Crypts, Buce, Ferns, Hygrophillia Pinnatifida, and even some carpeting plants like Monte Carlo and HC. Good luck!
Pardon the butting-in, but that is a great tip. I bet I could do that with my marsilea. Thanks! :grin2:

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
I like the angled tweezers too! Trim the roots. Wiggle it a little like others said to help the gravel settle, then pull the tweezers out kind of sideways through the media instead of straight back up. It's even more fun when your tank is 24" deep and you can barely reach the bottom.

Either that or just switch to blasting sand. Night and day difference

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I like the angled tweezers too! Trim the roots. Wiggle it a little like others said to help the gravel settle, then pull the tweezers out kind of sideways through the media instead of straight back up. It's even more fun when your tank is 24" deep and you can barely reach the bottom.

Either that or just switch to blasting sand. Night and day difference
What is blasting sand?

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
What is blasting sand?

Black Diamond blasting sand is a product that's used for sand blasting. A lot of folks use it on here. It's nice looking and very inexpensive.($8 for 50lbs!) Super easy to plant stuff in.
I have a 20L with black diamond and a 92 gal with flourite. I wish it was the other way around!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.