The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,

i'm having trouble with my canister either stop flowing or very little flow.

equpment:
sunsun 405 (reduced from 3/4" to 1/2")
inline heater (ouptut side of filter)
ista mix max small reactor (output side of filter)
cal aqua nano lilly pipes

is the problem from reducing tubing diameter?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
You have nano pipes on the 405? How does it run without the pipes and inline heater? I would think that might be the problem, are you also redusing the input? You should get pipes and inline heater that fits your can, I know the hydor comes in 5/8 also.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't clean the tubes, just replace them evverytime I clean the filter. Tubing if cheap at hardware stores.

The 405 takes 3/4 tubing, and I switched to 1/2 because of the pipes. They have bigger lilly pipes but the intakes are too long for a 20L aquarium. Either way I go its changing the filter from 3/4 to 5/8 or 1/2. The 1/2 lilly pipes are the ones that fit my aquirium. Didn't think a change of a 1/4 of an inch would make that much of a difference.......guess I was wrong.

I guess I need to get a standard intake and output spray bar. Sucks cause I really like the look of lilly pipes. Anyone have other suggestions so I can keep lilly pipes?

·
Plant Clown
4,735 Posts
I agree with all the comments about flow reduction when reducing tubing size. Remember that a reduction in ID from 3/4 to 1/2 is actually going down to less than 50% total area of a slice of tubing.

However, I don't know of a SunSun type 405. As far as I know, there's the 302/3/4 and 402/3/4, A and B.

Do you, by chance, mean a Fluval 405?

Either way, I'd remove all the filter media just to compare.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree with all the comments about flow reduction when reducing tubing size. Remember that a reduction in ID from 3/4 to 1/2 is actually going down to less than 50% total area of a slice of tubing.

However, I don't know of a SunSun type 405. As far as I know, there's the 302/3/4 and 402/3/4, A and B.

Do you, by chance, mean a Fluval 405?

Either way, I'd remove all the filter media just to compare.

its the 404 sorry. I was posting the thread via phone earlier.

Would switching to the the standard 13mm pipe at GLA be better?
it has 3mm slits but more of them than the nano set

Or do I need to go from 1/2 to 5/8?
I also would think an increase in tube diameter would result in less pressure, which would decrease flow.....?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.