The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

So I have my 200L planted tank settled and mature. All is working as it should. I got some Hra 2 weeks ago and its still green and hasn't turned red yet. I have checked my parameters and all is good except for my Nitrates.. its looking to be around 20ppm. I am dosing APT complete 3ml daily so that gives around 6ppm weekly of nitrates. I tested my RO water and its approx 10ppm so it all tallies up to my 20ppm parameter.. I feed on a one day yes one day no basis.. Maybe I should reduce that even more? Don't get me wrong.. I would really like to have my red hra but on the other hand dont want to off set my settled in aquarium.. any tips?

Plant Wood Water Organism Pet supply

Water Parameter:
Liquid Solution Drinkware Fluid Amber

RO water:
Liquid Test tube Solution Capsule Cosmetics

·
Registered
667 Posts
First, you don't have high enough plant mass to uptake nitrate quickly. Second, I don't trust API nitrate test kit which requires vigorous shaking of the second liquid. I have abandoned API and used Salifert instead which gives more consistent results.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought I had enough plant mass for that. - Anyhow since hra is not red that shows that there is a high nitrate however right?

·
Registered
515 Posts
My suggestion would be to switch to dry ferts. Better way to be in control.

It's really not that difficult once you are setup. You dose a liquid just like your APT.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
515 Posts
Curious as to why not? :)

I ran with liquid (not that dry ferts isn't a liquid) for awhile myself but the control that dry gives you won me over.

Other thing I just noticed is that you said your RO has 10ppm nitrates. Why? That's some really high nitrates in your tap water if your RO unit is functioning properly.

Maybe your test kit is off as @Tiger15 suggested. Which I agree with whole heartedly. API has never given me a good result.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes my main water is very bad and I changed the membrane and filters recently so not much I can do there.. having no red in my hra shows that my nitrates are high so having good api or not they are high to remain green :(

·
Registered
515 Posts
Yes my main water is very bad and I changed the membrane and filters recently so not much I can do there.. having no red in my hra shows that my nitrates are high so having good api or not they are high to remain green :(
Neglected to mention before but very nice looking tank

You may be right :) but this does assume your no3 reading is correct (not to mention light, CO2, question everything lol). Have you calibrated against a known solution? Just a thought

The problem as I see it is that you are using an all-in-one fertilizer. You are already at half recommended dosing. If you cut more you may be limiting some other nutrient other than no3

If you were using dry ferts (not pushing for you to make the switch ;-) ) it would be as simple as removing nitrates from the mix for a bit and see what happens

·
Registered
6,080 Posts
You should never make decisions based on an API NO3 test kit unless you have made a calibrated test solution.

There is no way your RO water should be at 10ppm NO3.

As others have said most likely your reading is incorrect.

·
Registered
343 Posts

I agree with Greggz, if your RO unit is putting out water like you are testing, it's broken.

Attachments

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok agreed maybe I should try something else to test nitrate, however not having hra red is a nitrate issue right? My ro membrane and filters were changed a few months ago and if you test my main water before RO its sky high.. here is a pic of my hra (centre back) which is not red and I planted it around 3 weeks ago. Also I have APT zero which I believe is with zero nitrates but scared I will rock the boat since my tank is now matured and settled.

Plant Wood Gesture Terrestrial plant Art

·
Registered
50 Posts
You could try mixing the Zero with the Complete to reduce the nitrate and phosphorus. Other than those two nutrients, the 2 products are identicle.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You could try mixing the Zero with the Complete to reduce the nitrate and phosphorus. Other than those two nutrients, the 2 products are identicle.
Can I just switch to zero or not recommended?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts