The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I am hoping someone can help me out. I have a 10 gallon tank I have setup for a few months now. I am feeling heavy hearted tonight, as I have discovered multiple problems. :icon_cry: I am sorry if I am giving too much info.

Originally it was stocked with 2 African Dwarf Frogs, a Mystery Snail, and a Tiger Nerite Snail. My husband suprised me with a male Platy and sick guppy one day about 3 weeks ago. The guppy died. I read that the Platy needed tankmates. A week ago I added 2 female Platy, 1 male guppy, and 2 female guppy.

Anyway...one of the female platy was dead the next morning. The other died a week later. I also noticed the one pond snail that hitched a ride on my driftwood was dead. :(

One of the female guppies had babies as well. :) I was not too worried about them over-populating. I figured the frogs needed some live food. I have about 5 1 week old fry now. They are sooo cute! You can see a few of them here.

Yesterday I noticed one of the female guppies has something wrong (not the mom). The scales on one side are her tail are raised and white looking. Dropsy perhaps?

Tonight when I was looking at everyone I noticed my male African Dwarf Frog has a red spot on one of his front legs and he is not using it as much. Injury or disease? Does he look too thin? My female is considerably fatter.

About an hour later I found the male platy wedged in the corner of the tank between a fern roots and glass. I got him out, but his fins are all torn up with missing scales. Did he just get stuck, or is he sick and trying to commit some kind of fishy suicide. I put him in a gallon pitcher for the night with stress zyme. I don't want anyone picking on him. Figured I would let him die in peace. :icon_cry:

After getting them home I think I underestimated their size. :icon_eek: I was trying to go by the 1" per gallon rule. I also think I might have added too many at once.

I had my water tested at the pet store before stocking. They said everything fine. I tested tonight (4 days after my weekly 25% water change). Here are my parameters:

Amonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 20 (my API instuction book says needs to be under 40)
pH = 6.8
Temp = 74F during day, 73F when lights off (unheated)

Left living = 2 frogs, 2 snails, 3 guppies (for the moment), 5 fry, 1 platy (for the moment)

Sorry my pics are so big. I can't figure out how to shrink them. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hmm I would do a water change to be safe. Could have hooked on a parasite from a sick fish or something has contaminated your water. For my 10 Gallon tanks, I've bought a 5 Gallon jug I keep with fresh clean water, and then have a couple snails in it, and easy growing plants, and just do water changes out of that. If anything ever looks questionable I can use it for a big water change without worrying.

I'm not a big guy on meds unless i know what I'm really dealing with. Other wise you're just pumping your fish with unneeded meds.

I do dose my community with Seachem Paraguard whenever I introduce new fish and I usually do a 20 minute concentrated dip in that before introduction. It says it's all natural, and I've used it on my shrimp with no ill effects, so I vouch for it.

Good luck... It is never easy loosing fish. :(

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I have a 5 gallon bucket I keep full of water ready to go too. I will do a water change today. I don't want to use meds with my snails. I think they will kill them. Any idea what could be wrong? Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts