The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all...i see many post bout mixing red crystal and bee to improve genes...Ok, but i want to know if all people speak "by his experience" or speak because "he heard about it"...

So my question is: if i put 10 red crystal and 10 bee in a 50 liters tank, what will happen in the long time?
What i read from other post is that i will have probably 25% of crystal and the rest of bee...Ok....But have you experience on it or you talk only for "reading somewhere"?

Does anybody have a tank with red crystal and bee??And what are his conclusions????

bye

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
I have no personal experience at the moment. Where I've gotten my info is from well respected people from sites like shrimpnow.com...

I've heard it's more or less kinda an urban legend so to speak... But orriginally and even now generally CRS grades are more expensive than the same grade Diamond. Thats one reason you will see people with the others at times, some people also like to have them because they're nice as well.

I wouldn't worry too much:icon_wink

-Andrew

Edit: As for your original question it's all in genetics. The recessive gene in the long run will have less presence in a tank that has the recessive and dominate gene, As for the EXACT percent you can't really say there are many factors but roughly I would say it should be between 20-35%

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But orriginally and even now generally CRS grades are more expensive than the same grade Diamond. Thats one reason you will see people with the others at times, some people also like to have them because they're nice as well.
this is my case!i like each one species and i've set up a 50 liter only for them...But i dont want to have, in the long time, only black....this is the only thing...

As for the EXACT percent you can't really say there are many factors but roughly I would say it should be between 20-35%
and if periodically take the new babies that are black and put them somewhere, what will i have in the thank?I think the red will start to compare in major number...no?

bye

Let's see what other people who have red crystal and black bee mixed say..i'm really interested to receive many experiences on it...not only "what we read from books"...

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
You can just cull some of the diamond babies. But say you left the tank alone, in the end it would be mostly if not all blacks (i'm talking in like 10 years lol) Its a simple gene thing... But you should be able to just keep more of the CRS than Diamonds and not have a problem.

-Andrew

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Actually, I think if you left your tank for 10 years your tank will still have reds. Because...

Lets say B is black and b is red.
so BBxbb
All black Bb.
Next would be 25% red, 25% pure black 50% half.

So if this continues, 25% of your shrimp should be red and 75% be black. Correct? Of course this is theory but there is a 50% chance that there is a hybrid black out there somewhere, meaning a 25% chance of the offspring being red. I don't think the red will die out.

Otherwise I don't think there would any more blondes out there by now... Or white people.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Well reds won't completely die out. I guess this is a contradicting thing. Well now we know that red shrimp will decrease in population percentage. But there are contradicting theories one whether they will die out.

That's very interesting.

And I'm not crossbred :-D. I'm a pure blood you mudbloods :icon_twis :angryfire :icon_twis :angryfire :icon_twis

JK. please don't kill me.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2284783.stm

interesting article on your blonde comment....the reds won't stay at 25% they will keep decreasing as a % of the population.
They reds will decrease IFF (if and only if) the red gene is a recessive gene in the population.

If the gene is a simple dominant gene like sandiegoryu assumes, then you'll still have red shrimp in the end. I doubt it's as simple as that though...you're opening a whole can of worms. And unless you try it out yourself, everything will just be heresay.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.