The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
About 4 months ago I setup compressed CO2 and switched from dual T8 bulbs to an LED and since then my tank has gone crazy. I originally wanted more light so I could get carpeting plants, but at this point I need to fix the algae before i do anything else. My biggest concern is the black hair algae that is taking over my anubias, rotala and trident sword. The water out of my tap is pretty bad and originally I thought that was the problem, but now I'm not so sure.

Tank: 20 gallon long
Substrate: flourite sand
Light: 30" finnex fugeray @ 15 inches from substrate (40 par)
Compressed CO2 at 30 ppm

daytime pH: 7.3
ammonia:0
nitrites:0
nitrates:0
phosphates unknown
No fertilizers
Fish: 6 platys, 3 neon tetra, 3 zebra danios, 3 sterba's cory, 3 ottos

Like i said the water out of the tap is bad, it has a pH of 8.2 and is externally hard. when i do water changes i have been mixing tap water 1:1 with DI water. I've had this tank up and running for almost 2 years and until recently I never had to clean algae off the glass. the tank is next to a window but that was never a problem before.

+ATTEMPTED TREATMENT:
I had my lighting at 50 par and maxed out CO2 for 2 months, but as soon as i saw hair algae I raised the light. I have also shortened my photo period to 6 hours and covered the window so that no sunlight gets to the tank.

I treated the tank with fourish excel at 3x the recommended dose for 14 days and it did nothing.

I have also increased water flow with 2 pumps so now i have no dead spots in the tank.

+REMAINING POSSIBLE CAUSE: LED, Phosphates, Lack of ferts

Let me know what you all think could be the issue. I've done so much reading on the subject and nothing really applies to my situation.

·
Registered
410 Posts
it could be the lack of ferts. usually algae pops up when the plants are not growing fast enough. try starting a regular fert regimen. more then likely it will start to clear up. maybe add some cleaners too, such as ottos.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it could be the lack of ferts. usually algae pops up when the plants are not growing fast enough. try starting a regular fert regimen. more then likely it will start to clear up. maybe add some cleaners too, such as ottos.
Okay, I was wondering if fertilizers were the issue. Even with the algae I have to trim my Rotala every 10-14 days.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts