The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a package of plant bulbs from walmart. The package says they are hybrid aponogeton bulbs. It says they are easy to grow and only need to be dropped into the tank. It says they will be 6'' to 8'' tall in 15 days and in three to four weeks they should have white and pink flowers. I have never bought aquarium plant bulbs before. Have any of you bought these bulbs from walmart? What has your experience been like with them?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've bought them and the tiger lotus, and have had good results with both. Another good thing is that there is a guarantee, I've heard that people who have sent the bulbs that didn't sprout back that they received even more of them back to compensate. Some of them seem to take a lot longer to sprout than others. :)

·
Registered
375 Posts
I bought a package from there once. If I remember correctly there was like 5 bulbs in it. Only 2 of them actually sprouted, the other 3 just turned to mold.

It was actually growing quite well. It bloomed like the one turbowagon showed, but then my Pink Kisser developed a taste for the leaves and that quickly killed that plant.

This particular bulbs can also be picked up at PetNo. Errr... PetCo. They will also grow in very low light. I think I only had 1.5watts per gallon at the time.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've bought both of them and and good results. At Pet"co" what kind of plants are in the "Betta Bulbs"?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In the pet department. In the fish section. I could never find them at my local walmart either. I read that walmart is going to stop selling fish and fish supplies in a lot of their stores soon. That's why I got the bulbs while I was out of state. I flew them home in my baggage with me. :hihi:

·
Registered
24 Posts
I bought them several years ago and, if memory serves, almost all of them sprouted.

However, in the last 2 months I have purchased 2 packages of aponogeton bulbs and 1 lilly, and only 1 apono sprouted. I sent them to the return address with my reciepts about 2 weeks ago. We'll see if I get replacements.

Stephen

·
Registered
1,045 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
I got a pack from petco and not one of the sprouted. They have a guarantee, but i thought it was too much effort to pull them out and send the rotted bulbs into the manufacturer.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I still haven't recieved my replacement bulbs in the mail. I am starting to think they won't come, even though the package said replacements would be mailed "immediatly." If you really want aponos, I ordered some from freshwateraquariumplants.com along with a plant package. My order was for 4, I recieved 7 or 8, and all of them sprouted but 1.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Well, I can agree that they stop selling the fish, I hope they dont stop selling the equipment though. I would hate to loose my only source for 10 gallon birthing tanks that they sell for 9$!!!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I can agree that they stop selling the fish, I hope they dont stop selling the equipment though. I would hate to loose my only source for 10 gallon birthing tanks that they sell for 9$!!!
You now the petsmart by me sells 10gals for $7. Meijers sells them for $6.50

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I bought the bulbs, actually I didn't, my girlfriend did, as she saw me looking at them for like 4 minutes deciding whether I wanted to waste $3. They didn't sprout. Didn't bother to send them back in.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts