The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading (probably way too much reading) about which regulator to use; i.e., single vs. double stage, and being a complete novice at this kind of stuff, I am leery about setting up my Aquatek regulator for fear of CO2 dump when the tank is close to being empty. :eek5: Am I being unreasonably worried (read: paranoid)? Does it happen less frequently than it's been made to sound?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
It depends on how much your fish tank worth (the livestock, plants...), there are possibilities. I have never owned a single stage reg so I can't comment on eot part.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I have four single stage and have only experienced EOTD once with them, and I've had the co2 tanks run right down to 0 from 800psi, with no dump. The one time it happened I can't really say for sure what the difference was. I also have a dual stage concoa 312. That gives me piece of mind. But that said, if you use a good needlve valve and solenoid etc, and you watch your tank pressure often, you're probably less likely to experience it. When it begins to drop from 800psi, and gets to say 700-600psi, that might be a good time to get the tank refillled.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I think End Of Tank Dump is really misunderstood. When I first started looking into CO2 and heard about EOTD I has this image in my mind like CO2 gas blowing out of the diffuser and gassing the fish. In reality what happens is that as your tank pressure start to drop, your output pressure will start to creep up. Since the amount of CO2 we use is so little, this increased output pressure can last for quite a while. This can potentially double or triple your bubble rate. Depending on your diffusion method, this is what might gas your fish. I think if you had a in tank diffuser, most likely you would just make a lot of bubble and hopefully not gas your fish. If you had some other more efficient diffusion method, like a reactor, then I think it would be much more likely to gas your fish. In any case, I think if you just keep an eye on your tank and check the pressure daily and refill your tank as soon as the pressure starts to drop you should be fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts