The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... to my new apartment, and into a tank that has only been up and running for 4 days now. I have the tank at the apartment heavily planted already, not certain if there is ammonia in it or not, gotta grab my test kit to make sure.

The issue is that I moved out of the house and have to remove my 55gal tank thats been fully set up for about 6 months now. I have 23 fish in there and I cannot transport the tank with water in it and with the substrate in it. It would probably weigh in over 200lbs with just 2" of water in the bottom, not to mention the sand bottom sloshing around - potentially burying fish.

So here is my question. If I were to do daily water changes, would I be able to get by without having my tank fully cycled yet? It would be easiest if I could transport the fish first and then dismantle the tank completely.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have heard that, but I have personally noted small changes in Ammonia readings over the course of 4 weeks in a heavily planted tank. I'm talking about 2ppm down to 0ppm over that time period. But if you say so. :) Looks like I'll be grabbing the fish tomorrow.

·
Registered
85 Posts
When you move take the fully cycled filter and put it in the tank with the fish, if you can add some of the substrate from that tank it will also help to seed the new filter. Running the dual filters if you are using a new one on the new tank with keep both filters alive. I get my new tanks up and running right away with this method. Or squeezing my sponge filters into the new tank. (i ALWAYS KEEP A COUPLE GOING IN MY TANKS TO ENSURE i HAVE A BACKUP)

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
yeah just take the cycled filter off the 55 gallon and put it on the other tank. Instant cycle for the existing bio load. supplement that with some plants and you don't have anything to worry about. Just don't let the bacteira in the filters get dry.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
How far are you moving? Can you drain some of the water into 5 gallon jugs? Maybe about 25 gallons? With 25 gallons of old water plus your existing filter, it'll be just like a regular 50% WC.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I would check your source water if you used a well cycled filter (that you did not let get dry)and got that high a reading.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
I don't think any steps you take are going to 100% avoid having ammonia spikes in a tank that suddenly gets a +25 fish load and is only 4 days old. I would definitely do water changes, how much and how often depends on how hardy the fish are.

I would also NOT feed them the day of the move or the day after. Then sparingly. They will be OK.

You also said you have a week. Can you move them 5 at a time?

ALso what kind of fish are they? Cichlids?

·
Registered
689 Posts
What I have done is went out and bought one of those 2 gallon plastic bins with the lid and filled it about 3/4 full of tank water and took that to the new house and filled the tank with it and let it run a day or so before the fish come. My only flaw was that I didnt use breather bags for my fish and i lost some large tin foil barbs in the transport. Ok though cause they were the size of sunfish. Crazy how big they get so fast !!!!!!!!!!!!!1

1 - 11 of 11 Posts