The Planted Tank Forum banner

21 - 40 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Mondi.
She was a wild dog that we actually trapped in a Have-A-Heart trap on a Caribbean island. It didn't take her long to get used to free food and water, AND a chaise overlooking the ocean.
Now she is a USA dog and this was her first snowfall.
Beautiful. She looks like a dingo.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
...If it wasn't for being around all those strong headed breeds I probably would not have been able to raise my boys properly. They're my first dogs I've owned.
Just looking at that pic, I cam tell you dod a great job raising them.

I believe each dog we own prepares us for the next one in some manner.

I won't be bring in another dog until Travis is 6 (18mos.) he deserves some
individual attention as he was in the Rottweier's shadow his whole life. The next will be a girl and I am going to a low energy dog breed, maybe Bull Mastiff, Dogue de Bordeaux, or Boerboel. I really want a Komondor but I know I don't want to deal with the dreadlocks :icon_eek:

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Just looking at that pic, I cam tell you dod a great job raising them.

I believe each dog we own prepares us for the next one in some manner.

I won't be bring in another dog until Travis is 6 (18mos.) he deserves some
individual attention as he was in the Rottweier's shadow his whole life. The next will be a girl and I am going to a low energy dog breed, maybe Bull Mastiff, Dogue de Bordeaux, or Boerboel. I really want a Komondor but I know I don't want to deal with the dreadlocks :icon_eek:
Hey thanks. I appreciate that. It is a lot of dedication and hard work, but pays off everytime. My Dober-boy was beside himself for a little bit when he became the only dog, but soon decided it was a good thing. One dog = more attention = happy dog. So, I bet Travis is living the life as your one and only :)

I thought about getting a Boerboel. Found a great breeder out of South Africa. (through word of mouth) Almost got the pup. Then, I decided because we take so many vacations it wouldn't be a wise move being that they are very serious about guarding the families turf when the humans are gone against pretty much anyone. What incredibly powerful dogs! There's just something about powerful breeds that have a hold on me.

What about Rhodesian Ridgebacks? Very nice too...and Thai Ridgebacks are pretty neat.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Driftwoodhunter, I wanted to share with you my old orange cat. He was definetely Garfield in disguise as "Sir Limpio" ;)

ps...the dog in the background was my uncles pug/rottweiler/pitbull mix. Man was he confused LOL!

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
haha - I can see the "attitudinal" in your red tabby - I love their personalities, they are characters! My cats are both girls, the vet told me less than 15% of red tabbies are female. I hope I'll always have a crazy cat! I would love to dress them up in costumes and take their pics at Halloween, but they're not declawed, and my health insurance only cover so much ; )

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I know right! He was totally owning my back HaHa! And how dare someone take his picture!!! ;)

Just wear some carharts from head to toe...double layered...then have at that Halloween dress up party!

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Since Taz is such a trouble maker, I want to dress her up in black & white striped prison garb, complete with the little cap, like in "Where Art Thou Brother". Zazu is round & cobby like an English Shorthair with big round eyes, and I bet she's brilliant behind that clueless look, so I'd make her an owl costume. Or maybe a jailer. She'd like to be Taz's jailer - lol

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
@ Driftwoodhunter They would hate you heehee

@ Foxfish That's a whole clan of ferrets! They are loads of fun singley...I can't even imagine that bunch! What are their names?

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I can't imagine how lively your home is with all those ferrets! I bet you have a blast : )
I see you live in the Channel Islands - how exotic! Do you mind me asking which one?

·
Registered
187 Posts
We rescue them so we do have quite a few sometimes!
No sure if I would describe our channel Islands as exotic, I live in Guernsey, a small island just off the coast of France.... c'est une belle île de cours!

·
Opae Ula Crazed.
1,408 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
A great thread, it's nice to see how we pretty much all share the love of all animals.

I can't imagine how lively your home is with all those ferrets! I bet you have a blast
My thoughts exactly!

I have a roommate

He's a great assistant in the hobby

(A note: never keep a raccoon in a tank smaller than 30 gallons!)

...and especially interested in putting up a nano-reef of his own

As any good father, I have decided what he's going to be when he grows up. "We" want to be a masked retriever.
Education is well under way

Whatever has disappeared, been broken or gone terribly wrong, it's never his fault

...since believe me: God, evolution, or whatever you think is responsible for it, the 40 teeth are there for a purpose

The purpose is to KILL!
(WARNING : Very craphic violent content, not for under 18 yrs)

We do share a sweeter tooth

...and definitely the favourite pastime

Despite being a wild animal, he's got an empathic side, too.

OH MY GOD! THEY KILLED KENNY!

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Hey thanks. I appreciate that. It is a lot of dedication and hard work, but pays off everytime. My Dober-boy was beside himself for a little bit when he became the only dog, but soon decided it was a good thing. One dog = more attention = happy dog. So, I bet Travis is living the life as your one and only :)
After saying goodbye to 6 dogs over the years I believe the dogs that are left behind go through the same grieving we do. I also feel just like us the longer the relationship they harder it is on them. Now I keep my dogs 4-6 years apart in age, I think that makes life easier for everyone involved on many levels.

.....I thought about getting a Boerboel. Found a great breeder out of South Africa. (through word of mouth) Almost got the pup. Then, I decided because we take so many vacations it wouldn't be a wise move being that they are very serious about guarding the families turf when the humans are gone against pretty much anyone. What incredibly powerful dogs! There's just something about powerful breeds that have a hold on me.

What about Rhodesian Ridgebacks? Very nice too...and Thai Ridgebacks are pretty neat.
You are correct to be honest about your family's travel /absence times in relationship to owning any dog.

I wouldn't worry about having any breed for that reason. Separation anxiety is a result of improper training/conditioning in the 1st year of the dogs life. If you can train a Dobe & Pitt to pose for a picture you can raise a self confident dog that will be at peace with itself.

As far as someone checking your house & feeding the dog in your absence, even the Fila Brasileiro will accept an "extended family member" if you're willing to put in the work at an early age.

>>>We had two Rhodesian Ridgebacks in the family, Dad and younger brother. Great dogs, energy level of a Dobe. Insane endurance, great runner's dog.

I used to show in the A.R.B.A (American Rare Breed assoc.) I saw the 1st 3 Thai Ridgebacks that came to the US at a Show on the Capital Mall in Washington D.C. . Even now 5-6 generations here in the States they still are very primitive dogs, verry high prey drive and very independent.

Sorry to get off track of your thread. Dogs are a passion for me, hence the 'Dog' of DogFish. I offer Private training for Dominate breed dogs, I show, Handle, and compete. My strongest suit is conditioning. As you can see Travis has maybe 5% body fat. :smile:

·
Registered
232 Posts
I just love your raccoon! He looks like a great pet .... is he a good pet?
What are the down sides?
Thanks, he appreciates your love.
Me too.

Despite the looks, I would have to say that he's the lousiest pet ever.
12 years of training have paid off, though. I have learned to do everything his way.

I just kinda didn't have a choise when he moved in with me. He's great and he's the worst.

Down sides...? He's a raccoon.
As a pet they might actually be closer to a python than a dog. They don't have a gene that wants to please you or be kind, at all. None.

And on the other hand, they are pretty smart and could be compared with the messiest, most paranoid, most uninterested, most short-tempered, unjust and vendictive roommate.
Life is about outsmarting.

Like a challenge?
Still, don't get one.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Excellent, sounds just like my type of guy LOL...
No chance of me getting one where I live, I doubt if even the local zoo would get a license!
Perhaps you should try a skunk next?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Excellent, sounds just like my type of guy LOL...
No chance of me getting one where I live, I doubt if even the local zoo would get a license!
Perhaps you should try a skunk next?
Don't need a permit for these up here. You would, if they were found in the nature, locally.

I am really interested in the skunk thing. They appear to be adorable creatures. But since I hate the idea of cutting up an animal and removing vital bodyparts (the glands), will never go for it. Maybe.

·
Registered
187 Posts
All our ferrets are neutered but, it is illegal to de sent them unless there is a medical problem. They do very occasionally let one go when playing hard or meeting a cat or dog & boy they do stink...I can only imagine how bad a skunk would be but from what I have read, neutered skunks rarely use there sent glands unless they are in real big trouble?
Funnily enough I might be able to get a licensed skunk as they are breed for pets in the UK only 70 mile across the sea from us.

21 - 40 of 135 Posts