The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its a 2.5 gallon tank that i have had for a while and decided to turn into a nano. It has normal gravel in it for now and if i can find someone selling some ADA AS amazonia then it will have that in it. My betta doesn't like light too much so what plants could i put in there to allow him to hide when he wants? (I Want to create a nice scape Btw) I currently have 3 wisteria plantlets in there and 3 small crypts plus his favorite silk plant The lighting is a 25 watt spiral light in a desk lamp, the filter is a whisper 10 with the flow turned all the way down. Now if i use Aqua Soil i have heard people talking about ammonia spikes how long does it take to go away ? Also i might retrofit the plastic incandescent hood with a 1 x 13 watt ah supply kit will this be good ? As for the co2 i will dose excel Will i need to dose ferts with 13 watts on the tank ?

·
Registered
234 Posts
you will need to dose ferts still. uhmm what about a bigger java fern ''narrow''.

i just noticed btw that you dont have much in youre aquariums lol :D

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yup i understock my tanks hehe :) hmmm Java fern that sounds interesting but they do get big

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
woo hoo i found a list of plants that should be fine in a nano on APC

Nano Plant List v1.0

I'm in the middle of writing a couple of articles for PFK. I figured you guys might find my list of interest. Please feel free to add to, all plants are from Tropica so they'll be some extra/missing no doubt for US citizens.

Anubias barteri var. nana
Anubias barteri var. nana 'Petite'
Bacopa australis Bacopa monnieri
Bolbitis heudelotii
Ceratophyllum demersum
Cladophora aegagropila
Cryptocoryne beckettii ''petchii''
Cryptocoryne parva
Diplidis diandra
Echinodorus angustifolius
Echinodorus parviflorus 'Tropica'
Echinodorus quadricostatus var. ''magdalenensis''
Echinodorus tenellus
Eleocharis acicularis
Eleocharis ''parvula''
Glossostigma elatinoides
Hemianthus callitrichoides ''Cuba''
Hemianthus micranthemoides
Hydrocotyle sibthorpioides (maritima)
Hygrophila corymbosa ''Compact''
Lilaeopsis brasiliensis
Lilaeopsis mauritiana
Lilaeopsis novae-zelandiae
Littorella uniflora
Lobelia cardinalis
Ludwigia arcuata
Lysimachia nummularia 'Aurea'
Marsilea hirsuta
Micranthemum umbrosum
Microsorum pteropus ''Narrow''
Microsorum pteropus 'Windeløv'
Monosolenium tenerum
Mayaca sellowiana
Pogostemon helferi
Ranunculus limosella
Riccia fluitans
Riccia sp. ''Dwarf''
Rotala rotundifolia
Rotala sp. ''Green''
Rotala sp. ''Nanjenshan''
Rotala wallichii
Utricularia graminifolia
Vallisneria nana
Vesicularia sp. ''Christmas''
Vesicularia dubyana

Time to google.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I still haven't figured out what plants i want in there but he seems happy he created a bunch of bubble nests :D

I Just retrofitted his tank's hood ,now it has the 25 watt bulb in it but i might change it to a 15 watt bulb to avoid algae and removed the filter since it takes up too much space this won't be a problem right ?

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now i still have these questions.

If i go with ADA AS how long should the ammonia spike last or should i just do water changes until i can't find any traces of ammonia ?

How much ADA AS Would i need for a 2.5 gallon tank ?

What ferts do i need to buy from gregwatson/how much would i need to dose of each ?

How much excel would i have to dose ?

Would rcs be fine with my betta ? and how much could i put in with him ?

·
Registered
644 Posts
You may or may not see an ammonia spike at all. I never had one with my AS. The tank just cycled as it would normally.

1 3l. bag of AS will be plenty.

I use KNO3 and KH2PO4 from Greg (EI) and mix it with water, then just measure out the amount of water that it works out to be. So, for example, 2tsp of KNO3 and 1/2tsp of KH2PO4 will give you about 80 doses. Add that to 800ml of water and then dose 10ml of water at a time. Your Flourish dose would be about .2ml., same for Excel.

As far as a betta with your RCS, they'll probably be fine. Babies will probably be lunch unless there's a lot of places to hide.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yay finally some answers thanks alot soltice so if i lower the lighting to 15 watts that should be fine ?

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
heres a picture of his tank currently he is swimming up to the surface for air :) the floating plant is one of the wisteria plantlets which hasn't grown enough roots yet to stay in the gravel

·
Registered
205 Posts
Some salvinia would make a good floating plant /cover for him, or even a couple pieces of frog bit. Some Anubias nana "petite" would work well. As far as java ferns go you could also grow some in your other larger tanks and just keep putting the new plantlets from the mother plant into the small tank and just remove it as it gets too big and put in some new baby ones.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hmm salvina after reading This Article i might just stick with duckweed lol i was thinking of putting some anubias "petite" in the foreground and possibly some dwarf hairgrass in the middle on both sides then some stem plants in the back

·
Registered
644 Posts
If you're not looking at any high-light plants, 15w would probably be ok. For comparison, I have 27w over my 3gal (link in sig) but I'm growing HC in there so, I need the extra light. I don't think you'll run into a whole lot of algae issues with 25w, but starting out at 15w and upping it if you need to might be a good idea. I have a little bit of staghorn and hair or thread algae in my tank that I'm trying to fight now. Unfortunately Excel won't work for me because my CRS are too sensitive to it, but it's a minor outbreak and I'm sure I'll get it under control eventually.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
oh ok i'm going to be setting up his old 10 gallon with rcs :) so i guess i will stick with low light plants for them to avoid having to do an excel overdose. I just placed an order for 3 liters of ada as amazonia for his 2.5

·
Registered
644 Posts
FYI, I never had issues overdosing Excel with my RCS, only with my CRS ;)

I think we need more distinct acronyms for those two....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts