The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So hubby bought me a 10 gallon Marineland Bio Wheel Kit a few weeks ago to upgrade my Evolve 4 since nothing I want can fit in it....I finally got around to setting it up and I hate it :(

Don't get me wrong I am soooo appreciative he got it for me and it was so thoughtful, but the lid is a pain, the filter seems ok, but not what I am used to, and he requested I use light sand, but I am not liking it at all. I know I am sounding like a total brat, and don't mean to sound that way, I guess I am just not happy with my aquascaping. After seeing I was not thrilled of course hubby said I can swap out the sand if I want, but I just feel bad.

I am wondering if I should make some changes, or just redo it (same plants and wood, but switch out the sand for Fluval Flora Stratum and scrap the rocks. As far as livestock goes, when it is ready we wanted to do RCS, Chili Rasboras, a Red Tracked Nerite and maybe a Scarlet Badis (hence why I think the black substrate will look better). What would you do?

Also is this normal?! LOL! I never seem happy with what I do, or is that just part of the obsession? ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
it doesn't seem bad tbh, but I think I see where you are comming from with the brghtness of the sand, the color of the rocks, and I think the color of that wood is also throwing me off (it's a very rich brown which I don't think works with everything else.

I'm not the best aquascaper so take this with a grain of salt, but I'd maybe get some fissden on that wood, and see about some foreground plant that will look nice in low light.

I think its not worth changing out the sand, but having less of it visible since the white is overbearing.

·
Registered
700 Posts
i actually like that aquascape very much! it really works for a beachfront scene.

but if you want a big change - a sneaky thing you can do is to keep the sand, but put some eco complete (or some dark brown substrate) on top, but not in the middle - since you already have a path thing going on in the middle, keep that just white sand and put the eco to the left and right and tucked in front so you see eco down to the bottom, except where the "white path" hits the glass. thus you transform your beach scene into a river/forest scene.

to go with that approach, take all the small smooth stones out and get a few bigger craggier looking darker rocks in there to act as a mountain-type look. that will shift the perspective even more from a 10 foot away beachfront look to a miles away mountain valley look.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so much everyone! That really gives me a lot to think about! I really like the idea of keeping the path and adding a dark substrate to the sides which would also give me more height there which I think it could use. The only rocks I can really get around here though are Lava Rocks...do you think those could work? If I do that I think the lighter piece of wood that sticks out should come out...hmmmmmm lots to ponder ;)

·
Registered
192 Posts
I had that set up a while ago, and just so you know the stock light isn't bright enough to grow much. If you want to grow more than java moss, you have to upgrade the light. I didn't even grow algae with the stock Single Bright light. I didn't mind the filter, I thought it did the job.

I think your scape will look great once it grows in :)

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Just wait a month and that white sand will no longer be white ;-)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I may sell/give away the lid and light and just get a glass top and a fugeray light. I have the fugeray on another tank and LOVE it. Will the glass lids work with a HOB filter though? Off to go look ;)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK lol never mind, I see you can cut the backs to fit HOB's.

Here are some really fugly photoshop ideas (sorry they look like a 8yr old did them). Gonna have to use some imagination with these LOL! The first shows if I were to leave a path, add flame moss to the wood, and add some taller grass like plant to the back left, and once the water sprite fills in....option 2 is without the path....Opinions?

Edit to add - Also swap the stones for more moss ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys! Stuworral that pic is gorgeous! To TRY and not be to hasty, I have been letting the tank just sit hoping it would grow on me lol! I am hating it less, but feff still want to make changes. I have added a bunch of Indian Almond Leaves to try to to give it more of a stream look than a beach. I think I may add more moss also, or at least swap out the pebbles for darker stones.

My main issue is I feel like the fauna I wanted will not look good in this tank with the light bottom. I know the PFR shrimp will be washed out, and not sure if Chili Rasboras and or Scarlet Badis would be lost in this tank and not pop the way I wanted. I am now thinking maybe CPDs or Sparkling Gouramis? Not sure if they can live together or if I should just do one or the other?

If I were to leave this tank as is, what would you put in it? It is a 10 gallon with the Marineland Bio Wheel 20 as a filter (with extra media in it) incase that helps.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.