The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm receiving a 46 gallon bowfront from my family for Christmas. I know pretty much my whole stocking list. I;m still stuck on 1 or 2 angels though. Not sure yet. Anyway, I was researching angelfish and came across some web pages that mentioned keeping hatchets and angels together. I've always wanted hatchets, and was panning to top the entire left side with duckweed and water lettuce and water hyacinth anyways. So I figured it would be awesome to have a small school of them. Maybe 5 or 7.
So I googled it, and got aloooooot of mixed answers. I pretty much concluded that it really depends on the different temperament of the fish. But I want to know what you guys think. If one of you has kept the two together please tell me... I'm really interested in knowing... I would like to keep them together, but if everyone thinks that my angel would just tear them up I don't want to...

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
It depends on the size of the hatchets too. The larger ones should be fine. If I remember correctly, one of the reasons for them evolving their odd body shape was to make it harder for predators to swallow them. There's a guy on here who has a huge school of marbled hatchets with some altum angels in a 150 gallon tank.

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
it depends on the size of the hatchets too. The larger ones should be fine. If i remember correctly, one of the reasons for them evolving their odd body shape was to make it harder for predators to swallow them. There's a guy on here who has a huge school of marbled hatchets with some altum angels in a 150 gallon tank.
:) :) :)

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool Cool!! ahaha.. thank you guys.!!
How many would you suggest for a 46 gallon? Taking in consideration my angel, the school of glowlights, and the school of cories...
I was shootign for 5.. but if someone thinks more thats even better... I love those little guys..

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Depends on the size of your other schools and fish and the plant load. Right now I'd say maybe 5 -7. Also I think silver hatchets are a bit larger (more bioload?) than marbled hatchets, but marbled hatchets look way better IMO.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Depends on the size of your other schools and fish and the plant load. Right now I'd say maybe 5 -7. Also I think silver hatchets are a bit larger (more bioload?) than marbled hatchets, but marbled hatchets look way better IMO.
Marbled hatchets are wonderful... I just can't find them anywhere... Alot of silver hatchets near me though... Maybe when I get the tank I'll ask on SnS..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.