The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a new tank that I've set up as a planted community tank and my husband really wants a few hatchet fish for it. In addition to the filter output flow, I have an extra airstone in there to create some more surface movement and oxygenation. I've never had hatchet fish, but they seem readily available at stores here. Since they are always just hanging around at the surface, can they handle current, or should I skip this type of fish?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have 5 hatchets in my 65 gallon and they love the current as well as my airstone. I agree with Lauraleellbp; you definently need a cover as the hatchets will jump out!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Do they actively look for gaps in your estimation, or is it just a function of probability--with enough jumps they'll find open air?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't think that they activley look for gaps. I have a glass versa-top and even when I open the both lids to feed them, nobody jumps out. Sometimes I've seen the hatchets get spooked and I hear them bump their heads on the glass. I read an article that hatchets can "fly" pretty far to avoid predators in the wild, kinda like marine flying fish do in the ocean. I think the fact that the hatchets spend all day at the water's surface, makes them readliy available to jump out without notice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts