The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Back when I had aquariums in the late 90's and early 2000, I had big bottles of fish medication to treat my 75 gallon aquarium.

I have(and still have) Binox 1.2 pound(cleras fungus and bacteria fast) treats 3,000 gallons Nitrofurazone.

Fungus Eliminator 1.4 Pounds ( clears fungus and bacteria fast) Nitrofurazone, Furazolidone, Potassium dichromate. Treats 600 gallons.

Real drugs, real power to treat a real size aquarium.

Now I see all sorts of herbal tea extracts which are suppose to have anti-fungal properties however I have not really seem them working.

The good stuff are ALWAYS in tabs to treat maybe a 10 gallon tank.

There was also medicated food sticks by " tetramedica" which would target internal parasites.

Is there some kind of breaking bad situation going on here with fish medication and cooking meth or do companies not care about the fish health anymore.

I hate to see technology or medicine going in the wrong direction.

I was very sick and tried to get some Nyquil and they wanted like 2 forms of ID and take down my driver license number.

Is this just government overreach hurting the aquarium industry ?

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Companies never cared about fish health. People make fish medication because they can sell fish medication. And there's no "Breaking Bad situation", companies are just manufacturing and selling herbal remedies because there's a market for it. And sometimes they do work- Kordon Herbal was effective, and those big leaves you get for bettas (can't remember the name right now) are good anti-fungals. Dosing of any fish medication is tricky, and sometimes the herbal isn't strong enough, and sometimes the others are too strong. The government has nothing to do with it.
And your experience with buying Nyquil has nothing to do with fish medication. People can make illegal drugs out of that stuff, so places are cautious about selling it, but somehow I doubt that anyone can make illegal drugs with fish medication.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Well to start with your ending, levamisol HCL is used in the manufacture of cocaine as it intensifies it, so some countries my keep an eye on that. (it is what causes some users to develop rotting facial sores and blotches- allergy)

I am not a big fan of edible medicine, some of the medications presented in that way will only affect the GI tract, as opposed to systemically absorbing it through the skin.

There are many natural medicines that are very good, things like bethel nut extract, clove oil, garlic, dried banana leaf, the list goes on and on.

You do still get pond sized medicine bottles (Tetra does a whole range).

Fish farming is doing a lot in dialling in the right medications, at the same time though they are also the reason for more virulent disease strains. (several studies has been done, checking for diseases in water systems before and after it passes by fish farms).

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Companies never cared about fish health. People make fish medication because they can sell fish medication. And there's no "Breaking Bad situation", companies are just manufacturing and selling herbal remedies because there's a market for it. And sometimes they do work- Kordon Herbal was effective, and those big leaves you get for bettas (can't remember the name right now) are good anti-fungals. Dosing of any fish medication is tricky, and sometimes the herbal isn't strong enough, and sometimes the others are too strong. The government has nothing to do with it.
And your experience with buying Nyquil has nothing to do with fish medication. People can make illegal drugs out of that stuff, so places are cautious about selling it, but somehow I doubt that anyone can make illegal drugs with fish medication.
The good fish medication is made out of the same drugs they give to people by doctors and hospitals. Many have anti-bacteria or fungus drugs but perhaps your point is that no one is making meth or like recreational party drugs out of these drugs.

However you don't know how bad the government can be.
Let me give you an example. I was skiing in Colorado on a trip and broke my shoulder and had to have surgery on it by a very well respected team that actually works on Olympics athletes and are world renown.

Anyway, they said I could not bring back my medication back to my home state because it crossed state lines.
It was vital I have physical therapy(This is where they move your arm to stretch it in different position like yoga) and all location refused the physical therapy because I had a prescription from a world renown doctor/practice who works on top Olympics athletes.

I had to take up valuable time and delay for several weeks to get a local doctor to mirror the exact prescription.

Note that this is physical therapy not pain killing drugs, its basically light stretching and exercise.

So if they would be that over the top paranoid about a prescription for physical therapy and treat all prescription like they are for drugs even if they are for exercise, its not a stretch to believe they would go crazy for fish medication which is made from the same stuff as human medication.

Secondly does anything think its strange that to get an over the counter cold medicine line NyQuil requires more information then buying a schedule 1 federal outlawed drug such as( Marijuana)

In other words, in some states, it would be easier for me to buy marijuana then NyQuil. Something is not right here.

Bump:
Well to start with your ending, levamisol HCL is used in the manufacture of cocaine as it intensifies it, so some countries my keep an eye on that. (it is what causes some users to develop rotting facial sores and blotches- allergy)

I am not a big fan of edible medicine, some of the medications presented in that way will only affect the GI tract, as opposed to systemically absorbing it through the skin.

There are many natural medicines that are very good, things like bethel nut extract, clove oil, garlic, dried banana leaf, the list goes on and on.

You do still get pond sized medicine bottles (Tetra does a whole range).

Fish farming is doing a lot in dialling in the right medications, at the same time though they are also the reason for more virulent disease strains. (several studies has been done, checking for diseases in water systems before and after it passes by fish farms).
I am always amazed at how far the government will go to assert control over people. Sometime buy NyQuil and they must be breaking bad drug lord. No way someone is buying it for a sick love one who can't get any sleep. However, open up any local paper in Colorado and there is advertisement for all the marijuana places you can shake a stick at even making candy for kids.

Thanks for the tip on pond size medication.

How many people do you know would spend like $60 in medication to save a .50 cent feeder gold fish besides me?

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Hey, you should just see how much alcohol advertisements there are... now there is a dirty drug for you. Pass me a banky anytime rather.

In this hobby everybody has spend $60 on something they shouldn't have.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Yes, there are a lot of garbage aquarium medications and additives out there. Go in to most LFSs and they usually have an entire isle devoted to medications and additives. Note too that they tend to be very expensive for what you get.

This happens for several reasons. The most important is that they are very profitable. I think another reason is that people want an instant solution to their problem.

Medicating planted tanks brings up another problem. Any medication you want to use must be chosen so that it will do minimal damage to your plants. This leaves out a lot items right there, unless your going to use an unplanted treatment tank. That means getting the sick fish out of the display tank. This can be very difficult.

You can still get medications for large tanks or ponds, but you usually need to get them online. For my own tanks, I would only medicate them if there was no other way to deal with the problem. I would much rather remove the infected fish and treat in quarantine tank.

Lastly, I'd say if your treating your tank often, your doing something very wrong. High quality water, and good diet will prevent most fish diseases.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
I noticed this 2 years ago. I thought my fish had parasites and went to the pet store (chain) looking for medication. Used to be this great guy worked at the petco- he was obviously a hobbyist himself and shared a lot of info with me.
He said the restrictions on medicines sold for fish in stores is getting tighter; you can still get them online, but soon might only be able to acquire from a vet. Especially things like antibiotics. I was surprised and dismayed. I don't even know if any vets around me treat pet fish, and if they did it's probably more than I'd want to pay. As it is, I had to buy the meds to treat parasites online, and pay shipping cost too. Couldn't find it in the store.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I noticed this 2 years ago. I thought my fish had parasites and went to the pet store (chain) looking for medication. Used to be this great guy worked at the petco- he was obviously a hobbyist himself and shared a lot of info with me.
He said the restrictions on medicines sold for fish in stores is getting tighter; you can still get them online, but soon might only be able to acquire from a vet. Especially things like antibiotics. I was surprised and dismayed. I don't even know if any vets around me treat pet fish, and if they did it's probably more than I'd want to pay. As it is, I had to buy the meds to treat parasites online, and pay shipping cost too. Couldn't find it in the store.
At least I am not the only one who noticed it.

I was really into fish like 18 years ago then I completely stopped(except for a single goldfish) and just recently started to get back into it. So I have the big containers of medication for the fish and I don't want to use since its probably past an expiration I assume so I am looking at the stores and finding nothing. Its a real shock.

The government has gotten so aggressively that even physical therapy( light stretching, light lifting weight 5 lbs or under, light rubber band exercises) is not even allowed with a prescription from one of the country's top doctors simple because he is out of state.

I had to waste a lot of time and of another in state doctor who had patients of his own who needed attention to basically tried to rewrite the exact same prescription from a better doctor.

I don't know what they expect people to do with fish medicine.

I look on the back of basic household cleaners like 409 and there is a message saying " Its a federal offense to use this product anyway not described" I had my grandmother telling me that she was a wanted felon and wondering if she should turn herself in for using a floor cleaner to try to clean a desk thinking that she had violated federal law since she used it in a way not intended.

This government overreach has gotten out of control. I don't think you can even make a recreational party drug out of fish medicine used to cure fungus however you can buy real recreational drugs in certain states and no one even seems to care.

This whole system is flipped upside down.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.