The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the preliminary planning stages for a new tank. yeah!

I just wanted to see if anyone had experience with this fixture It's the current sundial t5. any problems with it?

does anyone know if coralife bulbs or other companies' bulbs can be used in the fixture? (my current tank has coralife t5 fixture so i've never crossed bulb and fixture manufacturers) I assume it can be done but I'd like to be sure :)

it's going to be a rimless 65 gallon 48"x18"x16" tall, there will be Co2, and I'll be dosing EI. . .fyi

thanks for your help!

cheers-K

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Looks like the current nova extreme fixture with LED moonlights added. There are no freshwater versions of the sundial so you would have to replace the actinics.

Any T5HO bulb will work

Since the tank is only 16" high, I think 4x54W would be quite a bit more than you need.

For example, this tank only has 2x54W and is 18" high. He had problems with algae when he used all 4 bulbs in the fixture.
If you do decide you want that much light, though, this fixture is very nice, better quality than the current fixtures (and it looks cooler too) http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/product_info.php?products_id=1423&osCsid=89c3a6dc05ba6b1b98a03cfe7dfc8f6d

This is the fixture I use on my 75 gallon http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/product_info.php?cPath=71_136&products_id=1638&osCsid=89c3a6dc05ba6b1b98a03cfe7dfc8f6d

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for your reply. i haven't looked at that website before I'm eager to explore it.

As far as the amount of light goes- i was anticipating running only 2bulbs at first and then 3 bulbs once plants were established, I had not seen any with 3 until your link.

the individual reflectors are a plus in the fixtures you suggested- i like t5's b/c they're so gentle on my electrical bill, and that would enhance they're efficiency :)

however the features that really appeal to me on the sundial is that the timers are built in and i only have to plug in one cord. and the moonlights are already built in too.

all the nova fixtures I've seen had 6-8 bulbs, so more than this one I'll have to look more.

thanks again!
cheers-K

·
Registered
13 Posts
i'm in the (slow) process of setting up a 90 gal tank. i have already purchased the sundial t5 unit. 4x54w. i'm keeping the 10,000k lamps that came with it but replacing the 460nm actinics with life glo 6700k. i'd also like to know if anyone has any good or bad experience with this unit.
as for using lamps from different manufacturers, as long as the wattage is the same, i don't think it should matter. utilizing the two built in timers, i had planned to run 2 lamps for 10 hrs and the other 2 lamps for about 3 or 4 hrs in the middle of the day. there will be co2. does this sound reasonable?

kyle3, please let me know how the light works out on ur tank.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
haven't bought one yet but if i do I'll be sure to report on my experience!

i assumed that the timers were wired in such a way that one controlled the 4x54 t5's and one controlled the moonlights- is yours wired 2x54 for each timer? is there a separate switch or cord for the moonlights?

that light regiment sounds good to me.

cheers-K

·
Registered
13 Posts
Kyle, there are 3 main switches. one controls 2 bulbs. one controls the fans and the other 2 bulbs. the third controls the moonlights. however the moonlights also have a light sensor. with the switch off, the moonlights will remain off. with the switch on, they will come on when the light sensor reads that it is dark.
as for the timers, first timer-2 bulbs and the fans. second timer-second set of bulbs. am i making sense?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.