The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured I could hit two birds with one stone if my tank is the main producer of nutrients for edible plants. I'm imagining tubing the outflow of the tank into a tub where plants will sit on top of the water.

I've already had great success hanging house plants on the side of the tank. They root and grow like crazy.

·
Premium Member
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
628 Posts
Figured I could hit two birds with one stone if my tank is the main producer of nutrients for edible plants. I'm imagining tubing the outflow of the tank into a tub where plants will sit on top of the water.

I've already had great success hanging house plants on the side of the tank. They root and grow like crazy.
Why not, it's just hydroponics. you'd probably need a lot of fish though.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I haven't yet. I'd like to do it for growing some of the rarer houseplants in leca, but lack of space and a lack of imagination on how to properly do it are holding me back. Veggies would be cool.

I think it depends. Are you keeping heavy feeding (and heavy pooping) fish, or overstocking the tank? How big is it? Is the tank planted? What types of veggies are you thinking of? It's one thing to grow like, herbs which don't require that much nutrients (according to google), and another to grow spinach or root veggies.

On the veggie side, I've heard good things about growing the plants on a bed of LECA, either on top of the tank, or plumbed into a sump or something.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
I've never done it for a whole system. My pond is growing a terrestrial plant hydroponically in the filter right now, but its not a food plant. Actually its showing some signs of deficiency which I haven't figured out yet how I want to address (not enough fish).

There are people with so called closed systems that keep tanks of tilapia for hydroponics. Even with a large quantity of very large fish (by aquarium standards) they still need to add supplementary fertilizer though. So it can be done but unless you have only 1 or 2 plants, you are probably still going to need to add some fertilizer to get complete plant nutrition.

Other things to consider is lighting. Most food plants require either full sun or part sun. That's a LOT of light compared to the itty bitty leds we use.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I'm pretty sure,they won't do very well on fish water alone. You will need to add trace nutrients if you want lush growth out of whatever you are growing.
I've tried many houseplants- even Lemon grass and for sure they all thrived after I added iron to the water. Before,they grew but moderate. Trace is the boost.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Here's a great vid on aquarium islands. The plant he doesn't know is Mimosa pudica. Most colleges keep them in their collection because of their reaction to touch. Even at night they also fold leaves also. Unless you speak German,use the CC and auto translate to your favorite language. I tell ,you,the translation on German vids is so poor..but you get the jest of it I guess.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.