The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
light movers are used in commercial hydroponics as a means to save on lighting costs, and energy consumption and the heat inherent with HID lighting. i grow plants hydroponically under metal halide and HPS lights in my house, and am very succesful with them, but obviously im not in a commercial space so i havent used a light mover before.

the are hung from the ceiling (or other mounting point) and have a motor that moves the lite from side to side on a track over the crop, thereby doing the work of several lights with just one.

has anyone ever seen this implemented in a planted tank situation before?

i have just ordered a 72"x12''x21'' tank to go in the window from my bar to my dining room, and am looking for alternative lighting to save energy, and costs. metal halide lights are super expensive, especially since to light a 6 foot tank, i would probably need 2-3 of them. now obviously a light mover wouldn't work for viewing, as it would only light the section of the tank directly below at the moment, so i would need a basic florescent for that, but a 72'' single flouro can be had for under $75

any thoughts?

here is a picture and explaination of a light mover
http://www.accessdiscounts.com/sku-69152.html

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
I used one to light a shallow coral prop system. Tank was 48 x 24 x 15. One well designed reflector with a single 250W MH bulb did very well.

The downside in a display is they take a bit of vertical space. Add that to a full size reflector and you need lots of room above the tank.

SteveU

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
It worked well for me for corals. The ends gave me someplace to keep lower light animals. The side to side movement needed wasn't as much as you first think, but this was only a 4 foot tank. The mover had an option that would hold the light at the ends for a few seconds before it reversed but I never found a need for that. With a 12" wide tank you'd need a reflector that didn't deliver a square area of light but more rectangular.

I also had 4 tanks that were 72" x 12" x 12". Those were best suited to tubular lights so I used 60" VHO over those. I think in your case I'd stagger either VHO or T5's. Bulb choice is kinda slim though in the 60" format.

SteveU

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It worked well for me for corals. The ends gave me someplace to keep lower light animals. The side to side movement needed wasn't as much as you first think, but this was only a 4 foot tank. The mover had an option that would hold the light at the ends for a few seconds before it reversed but I never found a need for that. With a 12" wide tank you'd need a reflector that didn't deliver a square area of light but more rectangular.

I also had 4 tanks that were 72" x 12" x 12". Those were best suited to tubular lights so I used 60" VHO over those. I think in your case I'd stagger either VHO or T5's. Bulb choice is kinda slim though in the 60" format.

SteveU

yeah staggering was my other idea, or maybe 3 smaller pendant style.
i might just go with 2 staggered hanging hoods 48'' long. plenty of variety in the 4 foot size

i think i like the equipment aspect of a tank almost as much as i like growing plants and fish, which is why i thought it would be interesting to have a light mover. i didnt realize they took up that much vertical room, so i think i am limited to not using one.

thanks for the advice

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
The extra space is for the rail and drive motor. The reflector I used is just real big by design. Still takes some room though. For scale, that's a normal size outlet and the lumber for the upper supports are 2 x 4.

With or without a canopy I can't see ever using a mover in my house for a display tank.

SteveU

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
GTR you have to be single!
No... just old and learned on the ways of keeping things on the down low. I run my rubber business in a 3000 sqft shop that is my home away from home.:eek:

If she reads this she'll be happy to find it's just fish tanks. :angel:

SteveU

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
With a 6 foot long tank, only 12 inches front to back, and 21 inches deep, a single T5HO bulb, 6 foot long, or a pair of 3 foot bulbs, should be plenty of light unless you want to go for really high light intensity with the problems that can bring. Two bulbs, side by side should be the most you could comfortably use. That would be much simpler, cheaper, and probably more effective than the moving light.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
Agreed, the minimum you could get by with is 2 x's 150W MH and even with that you'd have some shaded-look time at the ends. With a second pendant you'd need a slave unit for the mover.

Steve

·
Registered
357 Posts
With a 6 foot long tank, only 12 inches front to back, and 21 inches deep, a single T5HO bulb, 6 foot long, or a pair of 3 foot bulbs, should be plenty of light unless you want to go for really high light intensity with the problems that can bring. Two bulbs, side by side should be the most you could comfortably use. That would be much simpler, cheaper, and probably more effective than the moving light.
My thought as well...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts