The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi. I currently have a 20 gallon with a couple neon tetras and I. Plan on getting some other fish and I was wondering if anyone has tried this tank Tetra® Connect 28G Aquarium Kit | Tetra® obviously it'll probably need a better filter but I just want someone's opinion if that makes sense. I want do something with rocks on the outer edges and soil in the center for live plants so it'll be a little easier to use my siphon

And tbh I probably won't use the wifi feature.

·
Registered
901 Posts
If you aren't going to use any of the WiFi features, I would say you would be better off buying everything separately. Generally speaking, kits like that come with lower tier accessories than you could get if you piece one together yourself.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you aren't going to use any of the WiFi features, I would say you would be better off buying everything separately. Generally speaking, kits like that come with lower tier accessories than you could get if you piece one together yourself.
That's kinda what I was thinking but like accessories aside since is bowed is it still decent. Like cam I actually stock it like it is a full 28 gallon or should I measure what it is without the bow and treat it to the closest tank size to it if that make sense.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Some people stock by gallon, some by footprint and others by the size of the filter, but I personally think that stocking should depend on how much work you REALLY intend to put into it. If you want more of a "hands-off" approach, then stock lightly. If you THINK you will truly be devoted to keeping it clean and maintained properly, start with a light load and increase it slowly until you get to the point where you say "um, ok I can't do any more/frequent maintenance on this tank because of __ ___." Trust me, life happens and you may not really have the time/resources to overstock a tank.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Don't know how I missed this thread but just wanted to chime in on bowfronts- the ones that I've dealt with skew the vision when I'm trying to clean them and often gave me headaches. This is not a common thing but just a personal experience. I think what you're getting at with the stocking would be to look at dimensions- I doubt it's going to be too far off the standard gallon imprint. Another thing to keep in mind is tank length if you're thinking schoolers.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't know how I missed this thread but just wanted to chime in on bowfronts- the ones that I've dealt with skew the vision when I'm trying to clean them and often gave me headaches. This is not a common thing but just a personal experience. I think what you're getting at with the stocking would be to look at dimensions- I doubt it's going to be too far off the standard gallon imprint. Another thing to keep in mind is tank length if you're thinking schoolers.
Thank you. I'm more or less coming from the small animal community and if something is more circular you pretty much measure the square or rectangle for their floor space so I wanted to make sure it wasn't like the same deal with bow front tanks. I think I'm going to get a 40 gallon or 40 breeder. I'm very indecisive. Lol

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I'm a huge 40b fan, honestly. The one tank I kept from the many tanks I had was a 40b. Just enough room for a good sized community of fauna and lots of options for planting plus super easy maintenance (just short enough to not be a sleeve drencher). That's me, though. I, personally loved them for my rats, too, but those days are long gone lol

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm a huge 40b fan, honestly. The one tank I kept from the many tanks I had was a 40b. Just enough room for a good sized community of fauna and lots of options for planting plus super easy maintenance (just short enough to not be a sleeve drencher). That's me, though. I, personally loved them for my rats, too, but those days are long gone lol
I think I'm going to get a 40 breeder or just a 40. My gerbils are currently in a 40B with a topper that's or what I believe is a 30B so I want to try to find a tank that'll fit with the topper. My coworker has a ton of tanks so I'm going to see if she has what I need if not I'm going to see what petco has. Worse scenario I end up with a second 40B lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts