The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well it seems as when i touch the sand in my shrimp tank it has alot of waste under it... has any one needed to clean their shrimp floor? or they just leave it the way that it is?? should i vac the sand? or should it be ok to just keep it like that....?

i do a 20-50% water change weekly anyways so i'm not sure if all the waste matter's

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
WC is personal preference, I do very minimum. When I do change the water, I "sweep" the bottom but not actually touching the substrate, so the dirty stuff comes up in the water column. I then siphon those dirty stuff out. I only do a small area each time so yeah, I get tons of those dirty stuff in my substrate. No issue so far though.

·
The Security Dude
4,336 Posts
Hell I just gravek vac'ed the heck out of my OEBT tank and NEO yellow tank. To much mulb build up..... I gravel vac'ed the area with a 1" hose ran to a 5 gal bucket. did this 2 times then replaced with my standard remineralized water with a little extra Prime. Worked good also did a large rescape while I was at it. Lost one shrimp I could find. I probably vac 50 babies up. But I had already come to the conculsion that was a give and a acceptable loss to clean the tank. Things happen and you have to be ok with losing shrimp and babies some times

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
totally know what you mean by baby lost... lol i have alot of plants inside the tank to take care of most of the problems but just wondering if anyone though it was a must... i vac the top but not really into the sand also but i get this brownish algae growth on the glass under the substrate... what can it be?

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
How are your shrimp doing? I let my tank go on its own for a while (heavily planted and filtered). My shrimp stopped breeding. I basically gutted the tank, did a rescape, cleaned the filter, and changed the water and vacuumed. One week later and I've got 6+ berried.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
shrimps are doing fine... some saddle just waiting on a berried some time in a month or 2... and salt on shrimps? thats asking for trouble lol... of course bettas are ok as i used to breed them also... but stopped and moved onto shrimps... betta's are really hardy fish but thats for another day this thread is about shrimps...

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
My wife did a major clean on mine while I was gone for the weekend. I can't bear to touch my shrimp tank except for the occasional water change. I don't want to cause a major die off. She didn't kill many though. Just a few casualties she said. My next step is black sand over the gravel so I can spot them easier.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have never cleaned my shrimp tank in over a year. Exceptions include water changes and trimming plants ... if you disturb the substrate it spikes ammonia and boom deaths regardless what you do.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have never cleaned my shrimp tank in over a year. Exceptions include water changes and trimming plants ... if you disturb the substrate it spikes ammonia and boom deaths regardless what you do.

dam its like a death trap just waiting to happen then >.< but doesnt having plants help at all?

but so whats this brownish color thing on my glass under the sand? its on the glass, has any one had this before and know what it might be?

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
shrimps are doing fine... some saddle just waiting on a berried some time in a month or 2... and salt on shrimps? thats asking for trouble lol... of course bettas are ok as i used to breed them also... but stopped and moved onto shrimps... betta's are really hardy fish but thats for another day this thread is about shrimps...
I don't know why salt got brought up in this thread in the first place but wanted to state have you ever heard of salt dips for shrimp? They can handle salinity quite well.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
My wife did a major clean on mine while I was gone for the weekend. I can't bear to touch my shrimp tank except for the occasional water change. I don't want to cause a major die off. She didn't kill many though. Just a few casualties she said. My next step is black sand over the gravel so I can spot them easier.
I just added 5lbs of Tahitian Moon sand into my 10 gallon shrimp tank. It looks amazing. Once the Bacopa, java moss, and Fissidins fill in its going to look killer

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok i also been having this issue about this algae for a while its like every time i do a planted tank with lights... here are some photos i hope some one can help id this and how to fix the issue also...

it seems to start out on the glass in front and under the sand them starts to move up on the glass... check out the photos

·
Registered
411 Posts
I just looks like algae to me. I have it on my tanks too. I use an old soft bristle toothbrush to clean the glass. I can get the bristles to go between the substrate and the glass to clean the algae. The bristles are flexible enough that any substrate that gets caught between the bristles does not scratch the glass (I use children's tooth brushes). If the algae is hard, you can use thin stiff plastic, the type of stuff most things are packaged in now-a-days, to slide between the glass and gravel to pull the gravel away from the glass, then scrape the glass. Or use dark tape to cover the gravel so you block the light and the algae dies off. Gaffers tape is thicker and stronger than duct tape, but pulls up cleanly and doesn't leave a residue.

I use some airline tubing and rigid plastic tubing to vacuum the gravel. You won't disturb the substrate much, maybe the top 1/32 of an inch if you have a really fine grain substrate like Black Beauty. If the tank is planted, wouldn't the bacteria fix most of the ammonia and nitrates for the plants to use?
If you are concerned about loosing babies, siphon into a bucket, maybe do a partial water change on that by taking water from the surface, and let it sit; throw in an air stone if you are worried. There should be enough on the bottom of the bucket for babies to survive on and grow. Check back in a few weeks and see if there are any running around in there and transfer them back into the tank. Minimize losses and still get the substrate fairly clean.
I think if you keep up on cleaning the larger debris, you minimize the risk of the devastating spikes that everyone is so worried about. It seems more risky to me to just let everything go and build up in the substrate if this is as big of a risk as everyone makes it out to be.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
i gravel vac my shrimp tank every WC, over dose with prime and all is fine.

if you are getting that algae problem with every tank you set up, then you need to look at your lighting and nutrients, and such, there is something being done wrong and a little more research needs to be done to find the cause.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
That algae is good the babies will feed on it. All my shrimp tanks walls have algae but the front view window. it helps bring babies along and gives them nice grazing grounds
I agree. My wife didn't believe me so I left 4 squares of algae on the back wall of the tank. Every time I look in the tank there are baby shrimp crawling on it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.