The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone kept Pristella Tetra with Red cherry shrimp?

I have a 55 gallon tank which is pretty big to just have little red cherry shrimp so I am looking for new fish to kind of energize things up a little.

So far I have Neon tetra, Glowlight tetra, glass catfish, Otto Catfish, White cloud fish, Cories, and snails.

I have heard that Pristella are very peaceful fish. Would they be in the same running as the other smaller fish?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I really dont think peaceful applies when it comes to shrimp. Other than oto I wouldnt trust any fish when it comes to shrimp. They may not mess with the adults if they are to big to be eaten but if you have hopes for a self sustaining colony I dont think that will work as the young shrimp will be picked off as snacks.

I will add this: I have read of people who have had luck with shrimp reproducing in tanks with fish when there is large moss areas for the shrimplets to hide in and the colony was large enough to begin with to reproduce in numbers the fish cant consume them all. YMMV. I have shrimp in my 75g and they have remained unmolested but I never see babies even though I know the female has been berried and its because the fish made quick work of the babies but the adults are to large to be eaten. Some fish may pick on the adult shrimp and kill them even though the shrimp are to large to be eaten. Shrimp are cheap enough buy a couple and see what happens.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really dont think peaceful applies when it comes to shrimp. Other than oto I wouldnt trust any fish when it comes to shrimp. They may not mess with the adults if they are to big to be eaten but if you have hopes for a self sustaining colony I dont think that will work as the young shrimp will be picked off as snacks.

I will add this: I have read of people who have had luck with shrimp reproducing in tanks with fish when there is large moss areas for the shrimplets to hide in and the colony was large enough to begin with to reproduce in numbers the fish cant consume them all. YMMV. I have shrimp in my 75g and they have remained unmolested but I never see babies even though I know the female has been berried and its because the fish made quick work of the babies but the adults are to large to be eaten. Some fish may pick on the adult shrimp and kill them even though the shrimp are to large to be eaten. Shrimp are cheap enough buy a couple and see what happens.
I paid $25 for 6 red cherry shrimp. I now have like 60 red cherry shrimp in my tank and even a few that jumped on the floor with all those fish in the aquarium. Like 15 Neon tetra, 15 glow light, 8 white cloud,etc... Its 55 gallon and heavy planted so I'm not sure.

Lets phrase it another way...

Would a Precilla Tetra be anymore dangerous than a Neon Tetra, White cloud, Glow light Tetra which seem to work so far in my tank? It seem to be a relatively small fish with a relatively small mouth like the Neon,glowlight and white cloud fish all of which seem to have a max size of 2 inches according to liveAquaria.com

Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.