The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having some initial algae issues with my first co2 injected setup. It's a 12 gallon mature tank that I rescaped. I run about 1-2bps (drop checker lime green) however I have the co2 on a timer so that it comes on one hour before lights on and one hour before lights off. I also have a lot of circulation and surface agitation, with my filter outflow on one side and a wavemaker on the other (this is a mock stream tank with stream fish). The temperature is between 66-70, so unheated. Im not sure what my exact pH drop is since there is active aquasoil in there buffering. With co2 on the pH is a 6.0 (or less since api liquid test doesn't go any lower) Has anyone kept amanos with co2 injection? Does this environment seem like they may do alright? I've read conflicting info online about whether or not they can survive the pH drop. Thank you!

·
Registered
16g rimless cherry shrimp, 20g cube dwarf cichlid, 40g breeder nano community.
603 Posts
Yes. I do. No issues in over 6 months.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for reassuring me everyone! I'm going to pick up 5 tonight. Is there anything special I need to do for acclimation? By the time I get home from work the co2 will have been off for about an hour and I plan on drip acclimating them for 1-2 hours.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have as well. With a timed light/co2 on off cycle and a simple drop checker you should have no issues from the co2. I think what you have is a very normal range of ph drop and I’d expect the shrimp to be just fine. If you are getting the growth you want, you can even reduce your bps and see what happens.. i was running about 2bps in a 55 gal tank and i couldn’t keep up with the plant growth.

·
Premium Member
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
641 Posts
Thank you for reassuring me everyone! I'm going to pick up 5 tonight. Is there anything special I need to do for acclimation? By the time I get home from work the co2 will have been off for about an hour and I plan on drip acclimating them for 1-2 hours.
you should be fine doing this.

·
Super Moderator
17,131 Posts
pH drops from CO2 injection are a result of carbonic acid. Shrimp aren't really impacted as long as there's enough oxygen in the water. Amano Shrimp are especially hardy.

pH drops from a hardness swing are what you should worry about, as that impacts osmotic pressure and can be pretty harmful. CO2 won't impact hardness.

·
Registered
19 Posts
There should be no problem keeping amano is such a setup, as others have already said.
If you have an active substrate in your tank and it is less than about 4 weeks old then make sure you do frequent water changes as most active substrates raise ammonia while establishing and that ammonia will hit your shrimps first; they will often try jump out the tank to escape the ammonia (and potentially nitrite that would have crept up too). I do at least 50% change every 2-3 days during the first 4 weeks to combat this.

·
Registered
60-P high tech, 45-P low tech
135 Posts
Like everyone else said, they are a staple for high tech tanks. One thing you might notice after putting them in during the first few days is that they explore quite a bit. They are known for crawling up the walls, but this really only happens during the first couple of days if it does at all. I never saw them do this, but for peace of mind, if you have a rimless tank or large openings that are easy for them to crawl out of, you could temporarily put plastc wrap on the edges of the tank until they settle in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.