The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used credit cards to clean the glass on my low iron glass tank and standard aqueon tank. Both have a significant amount of scratches which I assume is from the card. The card has a clean edge, both tanks are glass, and I'm positive I didn't pick up any sand in the card because theres scratches where there's no sand. I can't find anyone else that has had the same issue and I don't know what I should use to clean my glass going forward.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I have never had a problem with cards either. All of my tanks are acrylic now. I use generic Magic Erasers on them and have used them on glass as well. I cut thin pieces that fit a magnet cleaner and put it on the inside part of the tank. I may have to go over some spots several times, but even the green spot algae will come off and dose not damage the glass or acrylic.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I used credit cards to clean the glass on my low iron glass tank and standard aqueon tank. Both have a significant amount of scratches which I assume is from the card. The card has a clean edge, both tanks are glass, and I'm positive I didn't pick up any sand in the card because theres scratches where there's no sand. I can't find anyone else that has had the same issue and I don't know what I should use to clean my glass going forward.
Plastic can't scratch glass.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
I have never had a problem with cards either. All of my tanks are acrylic now. I use generic Magic Erasers on them and have used them on glass as well. I cut thin pieces that fit a magnet cleaner and put it on the inside part of the tank. I may have to go over some spots several times, but even the green spot algae will come off and dose not damage the glass or acrylic.
Wow! That’s a great idea. I would have thought that there might be soap in the Magic Erasers. Do you use them in a tank with fish and/or shrimp?

·
Registered
37 Posts
There are other materials used in CCs other than plastic. I wonder if yours has some metallic material sandwiched in.

I use Magic Erasers, too, in spite of the fact that they do leach traces of formaldehyde.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Wow! That’s a great idea. I would have thought that there might be soap in the Magic Erasers. Do you use them in a tank with fish and/or shrimp?
I get the soapless ones off amazon. A large bag for cheap, just make sure they don't have any additives. You can get a good size box of them from wally world too. I have fish and plants in every tank I use them in. I don't worry about any leaching cause they are only in the tank for a few minutes. I use sand and blasting grit substrates so I just use a piece with my hand near the bottom of the glass to keep from picking up a piece of grit and scratching the acrylic. I just clean that part one a month or so.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I use a glass scraper with a razor attachment and have no scratches on my UNS tank. The magic eraser with the magnet dealy sounds like a cool idea though, might have to try it as well.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I have used single edge razor blades to cut the magic erasers, but I have found a long sharp kitchen knife works better.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Are you sure your tank is glass and not acrylic?

You can easily scratch the glass with a grain of sand! Do you have a sand substrate? Sand can get between plastic card and glass when you get too close to the substrate.

Can you post pictures of scratches?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I use the magic eraser sheets. One will cover the medium sized Mag-Float and can be used over and over.
I have not seen the sheets. Would be much easier. Thanks for that tip. Searching I go....lol

Reactions: #DizzyIzzy1

·
Premium Member
1,971 Posts
Look for melamine foam. That's the base material for the Magic Eraser brand. Stay away from the bottom with it, they hold sand really well!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've never had a cc scratch glass, not sure if plastic is capable of scratching it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts