The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I tested my aquarium's nitrate levels and found that they seemed to be on the high side.. around 40ppm, so I decided to test my tap water assuming it would be at zero. The test came out to 20ppm for the tap water so I assumed that I could subtract that from my tank's results and get a decent number.

I got a bug though and decided to test against some bottled water and the test came up zero.. telling me that my tank really does have about 40ppm and my tap water has 20ppm!

Anyone else have this problem?

·
Are these real?
15,740 Posts
I wouldn't really call it a problem. As long as you know it and want to keep planted tanks, 20 ppm seems like a nice number. The MCL for NO3 is 45 ppm (NO3-N 10 ppm).

My tapwater usually has between 5 and 9 ppm, according to the water report. Test kits are sometimes hard to read.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
20 ppm isn't bad for my tank at all; and I guess its one less thing I will have to dose much of. But now I'm thinking of health concerns.. I'll have to take this to another forum..:hihi:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.