The Planted Tank Forum banner

Has anyone done a DIY SS drilled intake?

1418 12
Hi all, I'm ordering an Eheim 2217 canister filter as we speak, and would love a stainless steel intake, the hole-drilled kind, not the mesh kind. I've run into a few problems.. 1) All the ones I find are for small aquariums, and small filters. 2) They are expensive! 3) They are rare. So my question is, have any of you bent, polished and drilled your own SS intake? If you have, and you find it worth DIYing, please share instructions and pictures! Thanks everyone!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
You mean something like this? http://southernoakaquatics.com/13mm-stainless-steel-borneowild-fill-pipe-filter-intake

That site also has a matching flow pipe. I do not own either, and I have never purchased anything from that web site. I just happen to come across it just last week.

As far as making one goes, I would say at the very least you are going to need a hack saw, a pipe bender, a drill press, and all the essential skills to use them. I have been working with metal for almost 25 years I can not imagine using a hand drill and having any kind of success at getting all those holes drilled in a way that actually looks good. The pipe bending would be the really fun part. You'll have the joy of dealing with trying to bend a U into thin-walled small diameter pipe, which isn't the easiest thing to do when you have all your fingers crossed in hopes of not cracking or flattening the pipe and needing to start over from scratch.

You can get something like 316 stainless steel round tube which is considered marine-grade due to its corrosion resistance online for about $10-$15 per foot depending on diameter. I would get at least 3 feet of tube so right there you are looking at about $45 plus shipping unless you can source it locally. My guess would be if you go the DIY route and are buying everything online you could probably make one for about $50-$60 dollars so you would be saving about $20. Plus, you would get the satisfaction of knowing you build it yourself which is always a good thing.

But if it were me, I would just spend the extra money and buy one that is already made.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, Bob. I think you may be right, my only concern is the size of that intake in the link you gave. It says 13mm but I don't know if that's the diameter, And if so what is the length, etc. It does look really clean though. Personally I like SS more than glass.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I have the Borneo Jet Pipe for 16mm tubing, but I can't find that SS intake for my size unfortunately.

The Jet is very nice, and I REALLY want a complimenting SS intake. Definitely better than glass in my opinion. I broke 3 lily's before I went SS.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bbsantucci, that's exactly my issue too. I have an eheim 2217 and I want the intake, but I think that it,s too small and even if it fit the tubing, it would restrict the flow.. Wish they would make a bigger one, SS pipes have that sexy industrial look.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
The ehiem 2217 outflow is 1/2 (12mm) and inflow is 5/8 (17mm). There are some ss pipes on fleabay or you can ask ADG. They have it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fleabay only has sets, not single pipes unfortunately. I already have the Borneo Wild Jet Pipe. Do you know if ADG sells them individually?
I'm interested I'm a set, but can't find anything on fleabag. Could you private me a link? Thanks

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I may be searching for the wrong thing. I'm saying "stainless steel aquarium intake/filter intake (truck stuff comes up)".. How are you finding them? What search terms, etc.? Thanks

Search for stainless steel outflow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.