The Planted Tank Forum banner

Has anyone attached plants to submersed equipment?

1868 15
I was looking at my filter intake tube and the surface are of my powerhead and they looked awfully blank. I was thinking anubias nana petite or "pixie(?)" would look amazing attached to either or both.

Has anyone tried this is so what did you use for attachment? Pros or cons to this idea in your opinion? Pics would be awesome! I would love to see what you have done!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Honestly, I thought the same thing, but thought perhaps doing a column of subwerstang would be an interesting idea, or even growing a very small moss like fissidens.

I mean, I guess as long as the plants don't cover the intake, it should be do-able. Only issue I could see is it would be a major pain to keep trimmed if it needed to be trimmed.

With petite anubias, the issue I can foresee are roots growing into the intake over time, I'm not fully sure how well they would attach is the problem. I think it might be easier to just sandwich some moss of sort between mesh and the intake tube.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
i have also thought of doing this. but removing the tubing/equipment for cleaning every once in a while would probably lead to the plants getting knocked off or at least becoming dettached.

as a side bar, i thought about wrapping my intake tube with the plastiv mesh then covering it with a weeping moss, then trimming it all uneven once it filled out so that it wouldnt look like it was attached to such a smooth surface.

I still may do it....

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I got tired of looking at the exposed tubing for my canister filter output so I covered the whole thing in peacock moss. It looks nicer than plain tubing! It also helps camouflage it.
post a pic if you can please

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chad that sounds like a good idea and might give a nice natural look. I also would like to see a photo rah-bop, you set up sounds cool.

Hybrid I was thinking that a power head or intake tube could be popped out of the tank for trimming / maintenance. As for the intake is it possible/ acceptable to trim any anubias roots that get close to the intake? Will trimming the roots effect the growth of the plant?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I might try thread but intake tubing is cheap and glue is easy. Still looking for anybody with photos of something like this. I will post some pics once I get this setup.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Would sanding the tubing a little to rough it up help it to stick better? I tried something like this with pvc pipe a while back, I sanded grooves into it with a wire wheel and the moss attached to it easily. I don't have it anymore but I may try it again.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I decided to give it a shot with the superglue. I think the roots will grow to cover the glue with time. I think it looks pretty neat and will try add some more to eliminate the floating appearance. Let me know what you think!

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jbrady that looks good I like that they are fully moveable. Nice idea!

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Anubias will attatch to a smooth surface, but it takes a lot of time. I recently had an anubias plant sitting in a tub (with other plants) waiting to be planted. It was there for many months. When I went to remove it, it had rooted itself to the bottom of the plastic tub!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.