The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my RCS tank, I have about 1/2 of my shrimp that are much more red than the others. I notice that the less red ones swim through the tank alot more than the red ones. In fact the redder (is that a word?) ones almost never swim. Anybody else notice this??

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Yup, I've notied that and so has Evan @ Fistown USA. He pointed that out to me the last time I was up there. We thought they might have been a different type of shrimp because of the coloration and the activity level. Now I have some at home that I know for sure are Cherries from my own broods that do the same thing.

Tommy

·
Registered
890 Posts
I think it may have to do with whether or not the shrimp like the tank conditions. The poorly colored ones aren't enjoying the tank as much and are trying to get out, while the red ones like the tank and just relax. My rule of thumb is the more red, the more they enjoy the tank. At least thats my theory.

-Ryan

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I think it may have to do with whether or not the shrimp like the tank conditions. The poorly colored ones aren't enjoying the tank as much and are trying to get out, while the red ones like the tank and just relax. My rule of thumb is the more red, the more they enjoy the tank. At least thats my theory.

-Ryan
I don't have a ton of shrimp experience or luck, but my first guess goes along with my observations--the males are clearer and do "swim" around a lot more, while the females are redder and don't usually swim as much--saddled, berried or not. Just MO. :proud:

·
Registered
644 Posts
I don't have a ton of shrimp experience or luck, but my first guess goes along with my observations--the males are clearer and do "swim" around a lot more, while the females are redder and don't usually swim as much--saddled, berried or not. Just MO. :proud:
Yup, I'm absolutely with Naja on this one, and it's not just RCS IME; male CRS are much more active swimmers than the females too. The females swim even less when they're carrying eggs. Males go particularly bananas after a female molts and releases hormones into the water indicating that she's ready to breed.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Well the only time I see the males swim around like crazy is when the female molts and they are looking to "party" :) That only happens occasionally and not all the time. If your cherries are swimming around the glass constantly it could definitely be another issue.

-Ryan

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If your cherries are swimming around the glass constantly it could definitely be another issue.

-Ryan
Only the clearer ones. The redder ones just walk around and graze. I suspect Naja is right as most of the redder ones are currently saddled, (ladies)

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Well the only time I see the males swim around like crazy is when the female molts and they are looking to "party" :) That only happens occasionally and not all the time. If your cherries are swimming around the glass constantly it could definitely be another issue.

-Ryan
Hi Ryan,

I'm not looking to start a Debate. I understand the type of activity that You are referring to and that's not what I am referring to. What I am referring to is just everyday coloration and activity differences of the sexes of Happy, Healthy shrimps.

Like I said, I haven't had the Best Luck with Shrimp. Something with my tap water. With everything else I have going on--shrimp are way on the back-burner for me for now. Next round they will go into 100% un-reconstituted RODI. If that doesn't work--I'll probably give up on them. :biggrin:

·
Registered
890 Posts
Hi Ryan,

I'm not looking to start a Debate. I understand the type of activity that You are referring to and that's not what I am referring to. What I am referring to is just everyday coloration and activity differences of the sexes of Happy, Healthy shrimps.

Like I said, I haven't had the Best Luck with Shrimp. Something with my tap water. With everything else I have going on--shrimp are way on the back-burner for me for now. Next round they will go into 100% un-reconstituted RODI. If that doesn't work--I'll probably give up on them. :biggrin:
What are your tap water parameters? What is your tank parameters that you are keeping the shrimp in?

-Ryan

·
Registered
845 Posts
I too find my males swimming about more often in the tank, while my females forage around. I notice when I have a large number of moltings in my tank, I have a greater number of males swimming about. I attribute this to hormones. It makes sense. ;)

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
What are your tap water parameters? What is your tank parameters that you are keeping the shrimp in?

-Ryan
I don't know if I have any left or not. When I tore down my 29g to use it as a plant filter--the shrimp went into my 55g which is loaded with rock, anubias, and anubia's roots. I haven't seen any lately, but I haven't looked very hard either--and they have plenty of places to hide.

Basically, I kept getting die-offs. I really couldn't tell if it was from fert build-up or the water. But its seems to be correlated to both--without anything concrete.

I did better without water changes. When I would do a water change--seems like some of the time (not always) I would have a die-off. But if I didn't change the water---things seemed better--Yet I would still have a die-off.

I use prime and my general tap parameters are: pH 8.0-8.3, Gh 18, Kh 14. Not sure what the problem is/was, but the Bamboo shrimp in the 55g would go nutz at WC time. They eventually disappeared (died). So, for the time being I have given up on shrimp. I will get some more, but only after I rescape the 55g and change it over to 100% RODI water. :proud:

Same thing occurred in my nano---and I was using tap in that too.

·
Registered
889 Posts
isnt that deep red females and the light red males?

the females spend more time sitting around but the males are crazy and are always moving around
Well you are sort of right. The females aren't always "deep" or solid red though. But they are more red than the males. The males are basically clear with red spots or stripes. I have noticed the females become especially red when they become saddled and even more when berried, I have also noted that my saddled and ex-berried, now saddled female have developed a bold pink stripe down their "backs".

I have also noted that females usually stay in the moss or in hiding/resting while the males are usually more active swimming, foraging, and eating. But they aren't always crazy. There are only two reasons why you should see males (and if the latter females too) swimming around frantically. 1) A female shrimp has just molted and announced "breeding season" for the males. 2) Something is wrong with your water parameters and the shrimp are looking for a way out.:proud:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.