The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I remember when people sold Anubias Stardust in the classifieds section. I remember when it could be found on Ebay and Aquabid. Now, it seems that no one sells Stardust anymore.

I currently have a tiny Stardust in my possession. Does anyone else still grow this plant? Or has Anubias Stardust disappeared from cultivation?

This is the WTB listing that inspired this current thread:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/156-wtb-raok/1046369-looking-anubia-stardust.html

Anubias Stardust growers must unite! Please post up!

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is my tiny one. It fell from it's mount a while ago, got hidden in the back of the aquarium for a while. I finally found it and have been trying to help it gain some size again.

The STARDUST pattern is hard to see, but still visible on the tiny leaves.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Myself and one other MN planted tank keeper that I know have this plant. It's a real beauty with the main vein having the white color with speckling emanating from that part. The all-white is cool as are the variations (pinto, viper, and others) but there's something about the simplicity of the pattern on this particular color variant that is special. Grows slow as molasses, even in my high tech tank where my other anubias plants grow quickly... relatively speaking.

Found a picture, not the best... but it's something. Check the top right corner on the driftwood!

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It seems mine is getting smaller, even with good light, ferts and carbon. My other anubias are doing fine, even my "white" and pinto.

All the photos above seem to be of small plants too (thanks for posting them!).

Anyone have a BIG stardust? I'm feeling that Stardust just does not do well in the aquarium.

If you have one, big or small, please post a photo and tell of your experiences growing STARDUST! :D

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've been having the same experiences with my stardust. I have about 20 plants, and they do nothing but spit out tiny leaves like they're struggling. I've been considering taking some out of the tank and growing out of water to see. They're in the same tank/conditions as my Pinto and White which continue to grow very happily.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've been having the same experiences with my stardust. I have about 20 plants, and they do nothing but spit out tiny leaves like they're struggling. I've been considering taking some out of the tank and growing out of water to see. They're in the same tank/conditions as my Pinto and White which continue to grow very happily.
Ericj! Nice to see you bud!

If you do grow some emerged, please update this thread. I'd love to know if that's the trick for them, as they are so beautiful!

·
Registered
881 Posts
Mines are growing sooo slow. Especially after swapping everything over to low tech. It's been over a year and mines was split over 7 times and none of the sisters have grown up to full mature sizes yet. Would love to know about the emersed experiment too as well.

Bump: The mother is on the bottom. She actually got split 9 times lol. The one above it is the biggest out of all the other clippings. They don't die off underwater for no reason!

Attachments

·
Registered
881 Posts
ok so the definition for hand full is a small amount of number. I'll list three for now. #1 Han tran from Hansaquatic. #2 yunney from this very website. #3 Ericj (the guy that talked about pulling them out to grow out of water). I've asked him before on pm if he had any stardust or white left. Lol small world eh? Acro, let it go bud. I have around 4 more other sources that I can't remember but did get a confirmation that they have some. Just last week I was thinking about buying some more to quickly fill in my scape. The irony of me being on the planted tank was to look through my msgs specifically looking for people who sells Anubias stardust. IN CONNECTION WITH http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...ost-rarest-low-tech-plants-2.html#post9637553

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
Those have trouble growing their anubias my first guess woudl be due tot eh lack of rhizome. Rhizome stores the energy generated from photosynthesis, and is needed to grow more leaves. The smaller the rhizome the longer/harder it is for the plant to grow.
Its best to give 2" of rhizome to get better growth rate.

I use to have stardust over 3 years ago from a seller on this site (not listed above by krispy), however the other anubais I bought from them has rhizome rot which is a contagious disease that spreads through the waste column so I lost my whole anubias collection (near $300 worth). Was not happy about that.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yeah i would say the same about the rhizomes storing energy to produce more leaves. Thats probably why it grows so damn slow. I have chili and pangolino and those 2 are slow but not as slow as the stardust. Rhizome comparison, chili and pangolino does have larger rhizomes than stardust. Plus stardust leaves, to me, are delicate and easily broken off if not handled with care.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hey Acro, great to see you! I've got to get myself back on the boards more, life has been hectic.

But all this talk is inspiring me to try the emersed growth. I'm lucky to have my roughly 20 small plants slowly growing, so I could spare a couple for an experiment. Hopefully it works out, we definitely need to find a way to get this beauty back into more hands.

But yeah, my white and pinto are growing like crazy (Pinto might be the fastest growing small Anubias I've ever had), and these guys just keep staying tiny, a leaf a month...maybe.

Krispyplants - so sorry for the slow reply to pm, I just replied, happy to figure out a deal. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
ok so the definition for hand full is a small amount of number. I'll list three for now. #1 Han tran from Hansaquatic. #2 yunney from this very website. #3 Ericj (the guy that talked about pulling them out to grow out of water) . . . I have around 4 more other sources that I can't remember but did get a confirmation that they have some . . . IN CONNECTION WITH http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...ost-rarest-low-tech-plants-2.html#post9637553
Sorry for the delayed response, haven't been on too much recently.

Anyway . . . Hansaquatic's, Stardust is out of stock, and has been out of stock months before this post was made. As for Yunney, he's the Aquabid source I mentioned, and he did have some Stardust available when this thread was started. However, they were tiny and he only had about five. The photos he sent me were of tiny plants that were as small as the one I already had (thus, I didn't buy any). Currently, he does not have any Stardust listed for sale. Ericj, is a hobbyist like you and me and doesn't regularly sell plants. When I asked for people who had Stardust "in stock" I was referring to sellers or dealers that have some sort of steady supply and who are looking to sell. One can always just PM another hobbyist and ask if they have something, but that doesn't really make them a "source", just more of a short term chance find. And with hobbyist, they might not even want to sell! :icon_wink

Facing the facts, Stardust Anubias can't be found in the numbers and size that it once could be. There was a time when several sources were available on ebay, aquabid, and other online dealers, but those sources aren't around any more. Hopefully Stardust will be back in numbers again, and someone will figure out how to get this plant back to it's full size! :)

Ok, I've officially started a emersed setup with White, Pinto, and Stardust, to compare how they grow that way.
In a few months, this needs an update! :D

And for everyone else, here are a few photos just to remember what Anubias Stardust used to look like. It was such a beautiful plant!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Sorry for the delayed response, haven't been on too much recently.

Anyway . . . Hansaquatic's, Stardust is out of stock, and has been out of stock months before this post was made. As for Yunney, he's the Aquabid source I mentioned, and he did have some Stardust available when this thread was started. However, they were tiny and he only had about five. The photos he sent me were of tiny plants that were as small as the one I already had (thus, I didn't buy any). Currently, he does not have any Stardust listed for sale. Ericj, is a hobbyist like you and me and doesn't regularly sell plants. When I asked for people who had Stardust "in stock" I was referring to sellers or dealers that have some sort of steady supply and who are looking to sell. One can always just PM another hobbyist and ask if they have something, but that doesn't really make them a "source", just more of a short term chance find. And with hobbyist, they might not even want to sell! :icon_wink

Facing the facts, Stardust Anubias can't be found in the numbers and size that it once could be. There was a time when several sources were available on ebay, aquabid, and other online dealers, but those sources aren't around any more. Hopefully Stardust will be back in numbers again, and someone will figure out how to get this plant back to it's full size! :)

In a few months, this needs an update! :D

And for everyone else, here are a few photos just to remember what Anubias Stardust used to look like. It was such a beautiful plant!

Wow!! Didnt know they got that big. Mine is small and I always thought they stayed small. I was wrong lol

·
Registered
326 Posts
Does it grow much faster than submerged? Im assuming it does.

Yep it does, i believe i had this emersed for 3 months? Before both stems had only 3-4 leaves each and werent doing too well , now which you can see on the photo it has grew alot and also put out a new baby

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.