The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They stay pretty small and school. I'm planning to keep Fire Red Cherry Shrimp. Hopefully they'll breed and the babies can hide among the HC/rocks. Anyone have any experience with these fish and shrimp?

·
Registered
689 Posts
I have 15 HR in my tank and about 500+ RCS. Those rasboras don't care about even the smallest shrimp. You will be good to go. Be careful with your tetra species though... They delight in chasing down and eating shrimp. The only exception I have found is the neon.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I think it depends on the size of the tank as well....in a 10 gallon, they will stay near the top but do venture near the bottom at times (I have caught mine chasing cherries around)....but in a tank greater than 10 gallons, they will most likely stay near the top. I have them in my 36 gal and I have not once seen them near the bottom of the tank

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I think it depends on the size of the tank as well....in a 10 gallon, they will stay near the top but do venture near the bottom at times (I have caught mine chasing cherries around)....but in a tank greater than 10 gallons, they will most likely stay near the top. I have them in my 36 gal and I have not once seen them near the bottom of the tank
I agree here, I have 20 in a 18" cube and other then to chase food they rarly go to the lower half of the tank so shrimp should be fine.

Len

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have 15 HR in my tank and about 500+ RCS. Those rasboras don't care about even the smallest shrimp. You will be good to go. Be careful with your tetra species though... They delight in chasing down and eating shrimp. The only exception I have found is the neon.
blast....:mad: so tetras eat shrimp? i have 13HRs & 11 glowlight tetras in my 110 and i plan to keep cherries in the near future, it sounds like i should remove the glowlights... any thoughts?

sorry for trying to hijack the thread

·
Registered
689 Posts
Tetra species are far more aggressive than any rasbora species.

Partly why I love rasboras.
Completely +1 to Astrosag, and seaslug I'm sorry the glowlights are very tiny and will only go after the smallest of shrimp so you should be fine but when trying to find fish to co-habitate with shrimp just remember what Astrosag said. I mean tetras are cold blooded killers if you can fit in their mouth that is.

My combination with my cherries and even OEBT has been SAE, oto catfish LFBN albinos, rasboras, and finally hatchet fish. The hatchet fish is a killer too but is so focused on the water surface that they don't even know that shrimp are down there. Every other smaller fish, aside from danios, that I experiment with I end up seeing them hunting and eating shrimp and then I have to go through the painstaking removal process from my heavily planted tank. I am very careful what I add into my tank now cuz I am tired of spending time trying to take it out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.