The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry this is my first post here so i don't even know if i'm in the right section.
I currently have one Betta fish in a 2 gallon tank. I know it's bad, but my dad suddenly surprised me with him and the tank.

So I'm trying to make it up to Shark (my Betta) and I'm cycling a 37 gallon tank.
I'm interested in Harlequin Rasboras and Corydoras Catfish and I wanted to know how many i can keep in there? I know they're shoaling fish so if I can only keep either one of them that's okay too.

The length is a little bit under 30 inches and the height is a little under 21 inches. From the front of the tank to the back (width I think?) it's a little over 12 inches.

the substrate is gravel - the petsmart kind - and if it helps, the tank is the Top Fin Essentials 37 Gallons aquarium starter kit

The filter is the Top Fin Silentstream 40 Power Filter

·
Registered
575 Posts
What kind of cory are you thinking? One of the dwarf species or one of the full size ones that >2"? Either way, I think you have enough space to do both groups, especially since they prefer different levels of the tank.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What kind of cory are you thinking? One of the dwarf species or one of the full size ones that >2"? Either way, I think you have enough space to do both groups, especially since they prefer different levels of the tank.
I don't know what type petsmart sells, but this one Eye Organism Fish Marine biology Adaptation
I think it's full size?

·
Registered
575 Posts
So looking at the Petsmart webpage that fish is Brochis splendens and gets up to 4", which is bigger than the fish I keep, so I don't really know how many to recommend for your tank size. I would read up on this species before getting it. There are several other full sized cories that are common and smaller, which would allow you to get a few more. Panda cories, paletus cories, and bronze/albino cories (both Corydoras aeneus) all fall between 2 and 3 inches and are generally inexpensive, easy keepers, and easy to find, though there are a bunch of others.

I don't know if you were planning to just buy all your fish at one time, but a better plan would be to add fish slowly. Start with a small school of one or the other (~6 is about right) and let those settle in before you get more, both so your bacteria can adjust to the bioload and you can get to know the fish and your tank. Then you can add fish gradually and get a feel yourself of what your stocking level should be.

·
Registered
782 Posts
For a first time with cories, I suggest the bronze/albino cories. They are probably the hardiest of the very common types. Pandas are super cute, and stay smaller, but you'll need to work a bit harder to make sure your aquarium matches their requirements (possibly worth the trouble though since they're so dang adorable).

·
Registered
494 Posts
sorry this is my first post here so i don't even know if i'm in the right section.
I currently have one Betta fish in a 2 gallon tank. I know it's bad, but my dad suddenly surprised me with him and the tank.

So I'm trying to make it up to Shark (my Betta) and I'm cycling a 37 gallon tank.
I'm interested in Harlequin Rasboras and Corydoras Catfish and I wanted to know how many i can keep in there? I know they're shoaling fish so if I can only keep either one of them that's okay too.

The length is a little bit under 30 inches and the height is a little under 21 inches. From the front of the tank to the back (width I think?) it's a little over 12 inches.

the substrate is gravel - the petsmart kind - and if it helps, the tank is the Top Fin Essentials 37 Gallons aquarium starter kit

The filter is the Top Fin Silentstream 40 Power Filter
I have harlequin Rasboras with Orange Venezuelan Corys in a 40 breeder. 14 rasboras and 12 corys and still have capacity. The 40 has a bit more surface area than the 37 so the 37 will hold less, but I think you could do 12 and 12 with the betta okay with good filtration. I find this site helpful for figuring out stocking. Bettas are always iffy in community tanks, some are fine, some hate it, some get aggressive. Have a backup plan in case he doesn't like the community tank.

http://www.aqadvisor.com/

·
Registered
494 Posts
I have harlequin Rasboras with Orange Venezuelan Corys in a 40 breeder. 14 rasboras and 12 corys and still have capacity. The 40 has a bit more surface area than the 37 so the 37 will hold less, but I think you could do 12 and 12 with the betta okay with good filtration. I find this site helpful for figuring out stocking. Bettas are always iffy in community tanks, some are fine, some hate it, some get aggressive. Have a backup plan in case he doesn't like the community tank.

http://www.aqadvisor.com/
I just ran the numbers 12, 12 and 1 would be max. But they recommend not mixing the betta with the corys, so you may want to consider a different cleanup crew.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I just ran the numbers 12, 12 and 1 would be max. But they recommend not mixing the betta with the corys, so you may want to consider a different cleanup crew.

I've kept cories (both bronze & dwarf varieties) with bettas before, and never had a problem. I've also kept them peaceably with tetras, rasboras, khuli loaches, very young angelfish, and even amano shrimp. However, I have had a betta in the past who absolutely refused to share space with anything except plants, and I had one female betta who was fine with other fish but attacked & flared up at snails (she was a weird fish).

The reason mixing the species is not recommended is because some bettas can be agressive to other fish (regardless of the species they are placed with). Most of the time it's fine, but no website wants to be responsible for an incident involving a particularly irritable betta attacking tankmates.

There are a few species who absolutely should not go with bettas though, including guppies (especially male ones), agressive fin nippers like tiger barbs, most types of killifish, some if not most freshwater gobies, peacock gudgeons, and most anabantoids (such as gouramis), as those species will either almost certainly attack the betta, or the betta will almost certainly attack them. They are also really iffy, if not just generally a bad idea, with dwarf cichlids, and most bettas will enthusiastically snack on cherry and bee shrimp.

Any time you set up a community tank with a betta, you should have a backup plan in the event the betta is overly agressive. Fortunately, it usually goes fine though as long as you stick to non-agressive fish that don't look too much like a potential rival.

·
Registered
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." Gandalf: Lord of the Rings
318 Posts
I have kept the exact Cory that you are looking at (and I bought it from pets mart too) with a betta and they got along fine but I had another betta that bit the corys fins off. So I guess it's just the personality of the betta. But in a 37 gal I would definitely give it a try. For other tank mates try to get fish that are small and fast. I would get like five neon tetras, five harlequins, 5 of some other species maybe zebra danios or something. And your tank will look really good With all the different looking fish swimming around also does your tank have caves and fake plants? Because if your betta decides he doesnt like like the other fish all of a sudden they should have a number of places to hide.

Sent from my KFONWI using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have kept the exact Cory that you are looking at (and I bought it from pets mart too) with a betta and they got along fine but I had another betta that bit the corys fins off. So I guess it's just the personality of the betta. But in a 37 gal I would definitely give it a try. For other tank mates try to get fish that are small and fast. I would get like five neon tetras, five harlequins, 5 of some other species maybe zebra danios or something. And your tank will look really good also does your tank have caves and fake plants? Because if your betta just decides he first like the other fish all of a sudden they should have a number of places to hide.

Sent from my KFONWI using Tapatalk
yup it has caves and plants, i'm just waiting for it to finish cycling and i'll follow the stocking advice here, Thanks!!!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a betta with 6 panda corys, and what started out as 3 guppies and is now 15 or so, all in a 20 long. They have been in there for 4 months and are doing great. I wouldnt do guppies again unless they are only male because of their out of control breeding, but from what I see that combo could work.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.