Votes: 14 46.7%
  • Bloodfin Tetras

Votes: 1 3.3%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to add a school of one of these fish to my 20H and I'm debating on which one to pick. They'll be with a platy, a dwarf gourami, cherry barbs, and ottos. Each of them has thier pros and cons; harlequins are smaller (so I can have more) but I don't like thier looks as much, rummynoses are the prettiest but are more fragile, and bloodfins are more hardy and look ok.
Which one would you choose and why?

·
Registered
559 Posts
I'd vote rummynose, but I worry that the 20H doesn't have a big enough footprint for them.

How about some espei rasboras? Smaller than the harlequins, and I've heard they school very nicely.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Bloodfins are tab bit aggressive and known fin nippers they will break the equilibrium of your community and stress out your cherry barbs! Try glow light tetras I find they look nice with cherry barbs!

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Bloodfins are tab bit aggressive and known fin nippers they will break the equilibrium of your community and stress out your cherry barbs! Try glow light tetras I find they look nice with cherry barbs!
I have both and love them...both. I am shooting for a school of 20ish each in my 75g planted tank...I have 10 of each now though most are still in QT, I still think they are awesome fish. I think they will be fantastic in my tank, especially with the black sand and plenty of room to move around.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Definately Harlequins; they are one of my all time favorite fish and I usually have them in a tank somewhere. Great schoolers, and when kept right fantastic colors.

·
Registered
712 Posts
20G is not big enough for rummynose as they get to be 2".

I would go with Harlequins. I have both Harlequins and Bloodfins...they look great with the neons.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I have both and love them...both. I am shooting for a school of 20ish each in my 75g planted tank...I have 10 of each now though most are still in QT, I still think they are awesome fish. I think they will be fantastic in my tank, especially with the black sand and plenty of room to move around.
that would be pretty, and perfect size for two schools =]

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
if you want the best schooling affect then rummynose all the way. those goes school in all type of tank size.
althouh they are a great schooling fish they wouldn't be as comfortable in a 20h as rasboras and I wouldn;t put more than 4 in a 20 gallon tank, if you had a 55g+ that is a different story but this is not the case. the rasboras would school better for you in a tank so small, though if you have the money CPDs will be better

·
Registered
249 Posts
I love Harlequins! I love how they look and how nicely they school together! There are a number of subspecies that are seen in the hobby and varieties between them which makes them even more desirable! I also love rummy nose especially H Bleheri is my favorite! There is 3 species of fish call rummy nose even though each has it's own name I see a lot of dealers calling all three rummy noses!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts