The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 10G with a Betta splendon, male. How many Harlequin rasbora could fit in it

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think you would be fine with 6 or 7.

I entered this info on AqAdvisor and is says you can go up to 11, but that seems high to me.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Then I should be okay with 8. I have them in a 20g long with a Betta. Don't really have room for the 20g thus planning to put the fish in 10g

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I think you will be fine, I had 6 of them in a 6 gallon. Now they're in my 12 gallon and it been nearly 2 years.

You will be amazed by their colour when they reach adulthood. I know there is two types that are commonly mislabel but mine are the bigger fatter version. There is a nice orange shine that wasn't there when they were babies.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The betta doesn't seem happy now and it will be worse in a 10G. So I think I will be getting rid of the harlequin and replacing them with albino cory next year. I have had a betta with albino cory before in a 10G. Aqadvisor says it is not a good match.

·
Invert Warrior
3,886 Posts
Not to be the typical naysayer, but these fish are definitely not suited for smaller tanks.

It is pretty accepted that they need 20g tanks (standard sizes) to be happy.

And to the person who mentioned "inch per gallon" forget that rule.

It was the best way of measuring when we didn't know much about bio loads and such.

We now do. We realize that certain species can't go together, and others occupy different spaces.

Inch per gallon=extremely inaccurate.

My recommendation is ember tetras! You'd be able to get more, and they look really nice.

There are lots of other schoolers you could try. IE Ember Tetras, Neons, Chili Rasboras, exclamation point Rasboras.

I just advise against Harlequins in a 10g.

******EDIT*****

Posted as you were posting your update.

Good call on getting rid of them.

You could try cories!

MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MABJ I just advise against Harlequins in a 10g. Good call on getting rid of them. You could try cories! [/QUOTE said:
Yeh, the more I look at I think I should keep them in the 20G. Probably won't be able to get rid of them until Feb.

·
Invert Warrior
3,886 Posts
Yeh, the more I look at I think I should keep them in the 20G. Probably won't be able to get rid of them until Feb.
Yay. I'm glad you agree. I always prep myself for people plugging their ears saying, "THIS WORKS THIS WORKS."

Props to you for not doing that!

There's a lot of creative solutions you could do with your betta, including an interestingly shaped tank, like a coral tank with a microfish or micro cories.

MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
1" per gallon is a very limited guide, and works for a small part of the information you use when you are stocking a tank.

The 1" per gallon guide works only on the chemistry part of stocking a tank.
For fish 2" and smaller 1" per gallon will make sure there is enough oxygen in the water and there is enough water to dilute the ammonia and CO2.

It says nothing about the social or space requirements of the fish.

Highly active fish might still be stocked at the 1" per gallon rate, but the minimum tank size is based on how much they want to move around. Once you make the commitment to get a big enough tank you can stock quite a few small, highly active fish.

Highly social fish, schooling fish, need to be in a large enough school, so you need a tank that suits the school, not the individual fish.

Aggressive, territorial or predatory fish will also need some research about tank mates and stocking levels and minimum tank size.
Once those needs are met, the 1" per gallon guide can be used, but only for O2/CO2/NH3 considerations. If the fish is so aggressive that it cannot be kept with tank mates then again, make the commitment to the right tank size, but you cannot add more fish, no matter what the 1" per gallon guide suggests. The social issues control that set up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts