The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've finally gotten the killifish out of my 55g and into their own tanks. Now that my tank is community friendly again, I am hoping to add shrimp to the clean-up crew, cause the algae's a little crazy. I already have RCS in another tank, so I'm looking for another color of shrimp. What other shrimp is as hardy, not picky about parameters, and easily breed? I was looking as amano's before I read they are low form breeders.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Amano shrimp is good but would require water with heavy salt content to raise the youngs. You are better off with getting maybe 6 to 7 Ottos for your algae control. Amano shrimps are great for algae control but for a 55g tank, you would probably need to stock at least 50+ shrimps. :) I have about 20+ Amano shrimps in my 40g tank with 5 Ottos. I have to say that the Amano shrimps do have somewhat a high bio-load (waste).

·
Premium Member
5,485 Posts
50+ shrimp in a 55g would be too many..... Unless you're literally growing an algae farm in there.... Amanos eat A LOT of algae for their size so you won't need even close to 50+ for a 55g.....
You'll only want 1 oto per ten gallons since they have a high metabolism too.... And oto's won't eat like the hard GSA algae's since they don't really have any teeth....

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Malawa shrimp.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Yup, that would be the ones.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Would blue pearls be ok? I've looked at what a few sites say their requirements are, along with the yellow, green, and susawesi malawa. They all seem like they would be perfect for my tank, so its just up to what color I want, lol. And how much I'd have to spend.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.